SOCIETY FOR HUMANISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY
2008 ETHNOGRAPHIC FICTION & POETRY COMPETITIONS
THE 2008 ETHNOGRAPHIC FICTION COMPETITION
The Society for Humanistic Anthropology announces our annual fiction competition to encourage anthropologists to use alternative literary genres to explore anthropological concerns. These concerns may be any of those associated with the four fields of anthropology.
Stories should not exceed 20 pages typed double-spaced. There is a limit of one story for each submission. Three hard copies per entry should be submitted.
Winning entries and honorable mentions will be recognized at the annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association in San Francisco, CA in November 2008. The winning story will be published in the Society's journal, Anthropology and Humanism. The winner(s) will receive a cash award of $100.
There is no entry fee to enter this competition.
Judges will be:
Ayala Emmett (chair)
Ruth Behar and
Submissions and queries should be sent to:
Department of Anthropology
University of Rochester
P.O. Box 270161
Rochester, NY 14627
Phone: (585) 275-8736
The deadline for RECEIPT of submissions is June 1, 2008.
THE 2008 ETHNOGRAPHIC POETRY COMPETITION*
The Society for Humanistic Anthropology announces our annual poetry
competition as a means to encourage scholars to use alternative
literary genres to explore anthropological concerns. These concerns may
be any of those associated with the fields of anthropology:
Archaeological, Biological, Linguistic, Sociocultural and Applied.
Winning entries and honorable mentions will be recognized at the annual
meeting of the American Anthropological Association in Fall 2008, and
will be published in the Society's journal, Anthropology and
Humanism. The winner(s) will receive an award of $100. All entries
will be considered for publication in the journal.
There is no entry fee for members of the American Anthropological
Association. If you are not a member, there is a $10 fee.
Judges will be:
* Misha Cahnmann Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org, Department of Language and
Literacy Education, University of Georgia.
* Kent Maynard email@example.com, Department of Anthropology, Denison
* Dorine Preston firstname.lastname@example.org, Department of English, University of
Submissions must be unpublished and include:
1. *one copy of a cover letter *with home and institutional addresses & a short bio,
2. * three copies of no more than three poems* of any length totaling no more than
10 pages in all (please do not include your name/address on the poems,
3. a *self-addressed stamped envelope* for contest results, to be
posted by the end of May 2008, and
4. *proof of AAA membership or a $10 check *made to the Society for Humanistic Anthropology. Send unpublished poems only. Complete submissions must be postmarked by *March 10, 2008* to:
Dr. Misha Cahnmann Taylor
Department of Language and Literacy Education
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602
Electronic or faxed submissions will not be accepted except by request
from ethnographic poets working outside the U.S. and Canada.