J. A. Coyne and H. A. Orr. 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. 545 pp.
1. Orr, H. A. 1987. Genetics of male and female sterility in hybrids of Drosophila pseudoobscura and D. persimilis. Genetics 116: 555-563.
2. Coyne, J. A., H. A. Orr, and D. J. Futuyma. 1988. Do we need a new species concept? Systematic Zoology 37: 190-200.
3. Orr, H. A. 1989. Genetics of sterility in hybrids between two subspecies of Drosophila. Evolution 43: 180-189.
4. Orr, H. A. and J. A. Coyne. 1989. The genetics of postzygotic isolation in the Drosophila virilis group. Genetics 121: 527-537.
5. Coyne, J. A. and H. A. Orr. 1989. Patterns of speciation in Drosophila. Evolution 43: 362-381.
6. Coyne, J. A. and H. A. Orr. 1989. Two rules of speciation. pp. 180-207 in: Speciation and its Consequences, Ed. by D. Otte and J. Endler. Sinauer Assoc.s, Sunderland, Mass.
7. Orr, H. A. 1989. Does postzygotic isolation result from improper dosage compensation? Genetics 122: 891-894.
8. Orr, H. A. 1989. Localization of genes causing postzygotic isolation in two hybridizations involving Drosophila pseudoobscura. Heredity 63: 231-237.
9. Orr, H. A. 1990. Developmental anomalies in Drosophila hybrids are apparently caused by loss of microchromosome. Heredity 64: 255-262.
10. Orr, H. A. 1990. "Why polyploidy is rarer in animals than in plants" revisited. Amer. Nat. 136: 759-770.
11. Orr, H. A. 1991. Is single-gene speciation possible? Evolution 45: 764-769.
12. Coyne, J. A., B. Charlesworth, and H. A. Orr. 1991. Haldane's rule revisited. Evolution 45: 1710-1713.
13. Orr, H. A. 1991. A test of Fisher's theory of dominance. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 88: 11413-11415.
14. Orr, H. A. 1992. Mapping and characterization of a "speciation gene" in Drosophila. Genetical Research 59: 73-80.
15. Braverman, J., B. Goni and H. A. Orr. 1992. Loss of a paternal chromosome causes developmental anomalies among Drosophila hybrids. Heredity 69: 416-422.
16. Orr, H. A. and J. A. Coyne. 1992. The genetics of adaptation: a reassessment. Amer. Nat. 140: 725-742. [reprinted in Evolution, Second Edition, ed. by M. Ridley, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003]
17. Charlesworth, B., J. A. Coyne and H. A. Orr. 1993. Meiotic drive and unisexual hybrid sterility: a comment. Genetics 133: 421-424.
18. Orr, H. A. 1993. Haldane's rule has multiple genetic causes. Nature 361 532-533. [See "News and Views" by J. Brookfield: Nature 361: 496-497.]
19. Coyne, J. A. and H. A. Orr. 1993. Further evidence against the meiotic drive theories of hybrid sterility. Evolution 47: 685-687.
20. Willis, J. H. and H. A. Orr. 1993. Increased heritable variation following population bottlenecks: the role of dominance. Evolution 47: 949-957.
21. Orr, H. A. 1993. A mathematical model of Haldane's rule. Evolution 47:1606-1611. [See "News and Views" by J. Coyne: Nature 363: 298.]
22. Orr, H. A. and Otto, S. P. 1994. Does diploidy increase the rate of adaptation? Genetics 136: 1475-1480.
23. Orr, H. A. 1995. Somatic mutation favors the evolution of diploidy. Genetics 139: 1441-1447.
24. Orr, H. A. 1995. The population genetics of speciation: the evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Genetics 139: 1805-1813.
25. Turelli, M. and H. A. Orr. 1995. The dominance theory of Haldane's rule. Genetics 140: 389-402.
26. Orr, H. A. 1996. The unexpected recovery of hybrids in a Drosophila species cross: a genetic analysis. Genetical Research 67: 11-18.
27. Orr, H. A. and M. Turelli. 1996. Dominance and Haldane's rule. Genetics 143: 613-616.
28. Orr, H. A. and L. H. Orr. 1996. Waiting for speciation: the effect of population subdivision on the time to speciation. Evolution 50: 1742-1749.
29. Orr, H. A. 1996. Dobzhansky, Bateson, and the genetics of speciation. Genetics 144: 1331-1335. [reprinted in Perspectives on Genetics, ed. by J. F. Crow and W. F. Dove, pp. 555-559; The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison]
30. Coyne, J. A. and H. A. Orr. 1997. "Patterns of speciation in Drosophila" revisited. Evolution 51: 295-303.
31. Orr, H. A., L. D. Madden, J. A. Coyne, R. Goodwin and R. S. Hawley. 1997. The developmental genetics of hybrid inviability: a mitotic defect in Drosophila hybrids. Genetics 145: 1031-1040.
32. Orr, H. A. 1997. Haldane's rule. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28: 195-218.
33. Orr, H. A. and S. Irving. 1997. The genetics of adaptation: the genetic basis of resistance to whtml parasitism in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 51: 1875-1883.
34. Coyne, J. A. and H. A. Orr. 1998. The evolutionary genetics of speciation. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 353: 287-305. [reprinted in Evolution of Biological Diversity, Ed. by A. E. Magurran and R. M. May. pp. 1-36. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999. Also reprinted in Evolutionary Genetics: from Molecules to Morphology, Ed. by R. S. Singh and C. B. Krimbas, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2000. Also reprinted in Evolution, Second Edition, ed. by M. Ridley, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003].
35. Orr, H. A. 1998. Testing natural selection versus genetic drift in phenotypic evolution using Quantitative Trait Locus data. Genetics 149: 2099-2104.
36. Orr, H. A. 1998. The population genetics of adaptation: the distribution of factors fixed during adaptive evolution. Evolution 52: 935-949. [See "News and Views" by N. Barton: Nature 395: 751-752. See also Science 284: 2106-2107.]
37. Presgraves, D. C. and H. A. Orr. 1998. Haldane's rule is obeyed in taxa lacking a hemizygous X. Science 282: 952-954. [See "Perspectives" by M. Turelli: Science 282: 889-891.]
38. Orr, H. A. and Y. Kim. 1998. An adaptive hypothesis for the evolution of the Y chromosome. Genetics 150:1693-1698.
39. Marshall, C. R. H. A. Orr, and N. H. Patel. 1999. Morphological innovation and developmental genetics. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 96:9995-9996.
40. Orr, H. A. 1999. Does hybrid lethality depend on sex or genotype? Genetics 152: 1767-1769.
41. Orr, H. A. 1999. The evolutionary genetics of adaptation: a simulation study. Genetical Research 74: 207-214.
42. Orr, H. A. 2000. Adaptation and the cost of complexity. Evolution 54: 13-20.
43. Turelli, M. and H. A. Orr. 2000. Dominance, epistasis and the genetics of postzygotic isolation. Genetics 154: 1663-1679. [See "News and Comment" by N. Johnson: Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 480-482.]
44. Orr, H. A. and S. Irving. 2000. Genetic analysis of the Hybrid male rescue locus of Drosophila. Genetics 155: 225-231.
45. Orr, H. A. 2000. The rate of adaptation in asexuals. Genetics 155: 961-968.
46. Orr, H. A. and D. C. Presgraves. 2000. Speciation by postzygotic isolation: forces, genes and molecules. BioEssays 22: 1085-1094.
47. Orr, H. A. and A. Betancourt. 2001. Haldane's sieve and adaptation from the standing genetic variation. Genetics 157: 875-884. ["Faculty of 1000" listed paper]
48. Orr, H.A. 2001. The genetics of species differences. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 343-350.
49. Orr, H.A. 2001. The "sizes" of mutations fixed in phenotypic evolution: a response to Clarke and Arthur. Evolution and Development 3: 121-123.
50. Orr, H. A. and S. Irving. 2001. Complex epistasis and the genetic basis of hybrid sterility in the Drosophila pseudoobscura Bogota-USA hybridization. Genetics158:1089-1100.
51. Orr, H. A. and Turelli, M. 2001. The evolution of postzygotic isolation: accumulating Dobzhansky-Muller incompatibilities. Evolution 55:1085-1094.
52. Orr, H. A. 2001. Some doubts about (yet another) view of species. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 870-871.
53. Orr, H. A. 2002 The population genetics of adaptation: the adaptation of DNA sequences. Evolution 56: 1317-1330. [See "News and Views" by J. J. Bull and S. P. Otto: Nature Genetics 37: 342-343]
54. Orr, H. A. 2003. A minimum on the mean number of steps taken in adaptive walks. J. Theor. Biol. 220: 241-247.
55. Orr, H. A. 2003. The distribution of fitness effects among beneficial mutations. Genetics 163: 1519-1526.
56. Presgraves, D. C., L. Balagopalan, S. M. Abmayr, and H. A. Orr. 2003. Adaptive evolution drives divergence of a hybrid inviability gene in Drosophila. Nature 423: 715-719. [See "News and Comment" by M. Noor: Nature 423: 699-700; see also news item in Nature Reviews Genetics 4: 580]
57. Orr, H. A., J. P. Masly, and D. C. Presgraves. 2004. Speciation genes. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 14: 675-679.
58. Betancourt, A. J., Y. Kim, and H. A. Orr. 2004. A pseudohitchhiking model of X vs. autosomal diversity. Genetics 168: 2261-2269.
59. Orr, H. A. 2004. The probability of parallel evolution. Evolution 59: 216-220.
60. Orr, H. A. 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 119-127.
61. Orr, H. A and Irving, S. 2005. Segregation distortion in hybrids between the Bogota and USA subspecies of Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 169: 671-682.
62. Orr, H. A. 2005. Theories of adaptation: what they do and don't say. Genetica 123: 3-13 (reprinted in Genetics of Adaptation (Georgia Genetics Review Volume III; 2005), pp. 3-14, Springer, ed. R. Mauricio).
63. Orr, H. A. 2005. The genetic basis of reproductive isolation: insights from Drosophila. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 102: 6522-6526. [reprinted in Systematics and the Origin of Species: On Ernst Mayr's 100th Anniversary, ed. by J. Hey, W. M. Fitch, and F. J Ayala, The National Academies Press, pp. 9-23, 2005]
64. Kim, Y and H. A. Orr. 2005. Adaptation in sexuals vs. asexuals: clonal interference and the Fisher-Muller model. Genetics 171: 1377-1386.
65. Orr, H. A. 2006. The distribution of fitness effects among beneficial mutations in Fisher's geometric model of adaptation. J. Theor. Biol. 238: 279-285.
66. Orr, H. A. 2006. The population genetics of adaptation on correlated fitness landscapes: the block model. Evolution 60: 1113-1124.
67. Masly, J. P., Jones, C. D, Noor, M. A. F., Locke, J., and H. A. Orr. 2006. Gene transposition as a cause of hybrid sterility. Science 313: 1448-1450. [See also Nature 443: 7108, Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 10, and "Breakthrough of the Year: The Runners-Up" Science 314: pp. 1850 - 1855.]
68. Orr, H. A., Masly, J. P., and N Phadnis. 2007. Speciation in Drosophila: from phenotypes to molecules (Wilhelmine E. Key Lecture). Journal of Heredity 98: 103-110.
69. Orr, H. A. 2007. Absolute fitness, relative fitness, and utility. Evolution (in press).
Essays and Book Reviews:
70. Orr, H. A. 1996. Dennett's Dangerous Idea (review of Darwin's Dangerous Idea, by Daniel C. Dennett; Simon and Schuster, New York). Evolution 50: 467-472.
71. Orr, H. A. 1996. Dennett's Strange Idea. Boston Review (Summer 1996: pp. 28-32) (adaptation of above review for literary/political magazine).
72. Orr, H. A. 1996. Contributor to "Denying Darwin: David Berlinski and Critics" (a response to Berlinski's "The Deniable Darwin"). Commentary (September 1996).
73. Orr, H. A. 1996. The scope of natural selection (Dennett-Orr exchange). Boston Review (October/November 1996: pp. 36-38).
74. Orr, H. A. 1996. Darwin v. Intelligent Design (Again) (review of Darwin's Black Box, by Michael J. Behe; The Free Press; New York). Boston Review (December/January 1996/1997: pp. 28-31). (Reprinted in Think: Philosophy for Everyone (Royal Institute of Philosophy), Autumn 2005, issue 11, pp. 41-53; also translated into Polish for the philosophical journal Filozoficzne htmlekty Genezy; excerpt also reprinted in 30th Anniversary issue of Boston Review (September/October, 2005: p. 46).
75. Orr, H. A. 1997. The softer side of sociobiology (review of The Origins of Virtue, by Matt Ridley; Viking Press; New York). Boston Review (October/November 1997: pp. 43-45).
76. Orr, H. A. 1998. The Big Picture (review of Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge, by Edward O. Wilson; Knopf; New York). Boston Review (October/November 1998: pp. 42-45).
77. Orr, H. A. 1999. The Devil and Darwin (review of Darwinism Comes to America, by Ronald L. Numbers; Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA). Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 289-290.
78. Orr, H. A. 1999. An Evolutionary Dead-End? (review of Phenotypic Evolution: a Reaction Norm Perspective, by C. D. Schlichting and M. Pigliucci; Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA). Science 285: 343-344.
79. Orr, H. A. 1999. Gould on God (review of Rocks of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life by Stephen Jay Gould; Library of Contemporary Thought, Ballantine Publishing Group; New York). Boston Review (October/November 1999: pp. 24-26).
80. Orr, H. A. 2002. The Return of Intelligent Design (review of No Free Lunch: Why Specified Complexity Cannot be Purchased without Intelligence by William A. Dembski; Rowman & Littlefield, New York). Boston Review Summer 2002: pp. 53-56). [Reprinted in: Reports of the National Center for Science Education, Volume 23, pp. 41-47, Sep-Dec 2003.]
81. Orr, H. A. 2002. An exchange on "The Return of Intelligent Design": Response to William Dembski. Boston Review (October/November 2002: pp. 59-60).
82. Orr, H. A. 2002. The Descent of Gould (review of The Structure of Evolutionary Theory and I Have Landed by Stephen Jay Gould). The New Yorker, September 30, 2002.
83. Orr, H. A. 2003. Darwinian storytelling (review of Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate: the Modern Denial of Human Nature). The New York Review of Books, February 27, 2003, pp. 17-20.
84. Orr, H. A. 2003. "The Blank Slate": an Exchange. The New York Review of Books, May 1, 2003, pp. 48-49.
85. Orr, H. A. 2003. The science of religion (review of Darwin's Cathedral: Evolution, Religion, and the Nature of Society by D. S. Wilson; University of Chicago Press, Chicago). Evolution 57: 200-202.
86. Orr, H. A. 2003. What's not in your genes (review of Matt Ridley's Nature via Nurture). The New York Review of Books, August 14, 2003, pp. 38-.40.
87. Orr, H. A. 2004. A passion for evolution (review of Richard Dawkins's A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science, and Love). The New York Review of Books, February 26, 2004, pp. 27-29. [See also Letters exchange, New York Review of Books, May 13, 2004, p. 47]
88. Orr, H. A. 2005. Vive la différence! (review of Bryan Sykes's Adam's Curse: a Future Without Men, Steve Jones's Y: The Descent of Men, and David Bainbridge's The X in Sex: How the X Chromosome Controls Our Lives). The New York Review of Books, May 12, 2005, pp. 18-20.
89. Orr, H. A. 2005. Devolution: Why Intelligent Design Isn't. The New Yorker, May 30, 2005, pp. 40-52. [selected for inclusion in The Best American Science Writing 2006, ed. by A. Gawande, Ecco/HarperCollins and Perennial, 2006; also translated and reprinted in Le Scienze (Italian edition of Scientific American), October 2005]
90. Orr, H. A. 2005. Turned On: A Revolution in the Field of Evolution? (review of Sean Carroll's Endless Forms Most Beautiful). The New Yorker, October 24, 2005, pp. 85-88.
91. Orr, H. A. 2006. The God Project: What a Science of Religion Can't Prove (review of Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon). The New Yorker, April 3, 2006, pp. 80-83.
92. Orr, H. A. 2006. Talking Genes (review of Nicholas Wade's Before the Dawn: Recovering the Long History of Our Ancestors). The New York Review of Books, September 21, 2006, pp. 18-22.
93. Orr, H. A. 2007. Review of Richard Dawkins's The God Delusion, Lewis Wolpert's Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast, and Joan Roughgarden's Evolution and Christian Faith. The New York Review of Books, January 11, 2007, pp. 21-24. [See also Letters exchange with Daniel C. Dennett, New York Review of Books, March 1, 2007, p. 49]
94. Orr, H. A. 2007. A Religion for Darwinians? (review of Living with Darwin: Evolution, Design, and the Future of Faith). The New York Review of Books, August 16, 2007, pp. 33-35.