Fields of Interest:
Over the years, my work has ranged over various subjects in modern political and cultural history. My first two books--"John Fielden and the Politics of Popular Radicalism" and "The Hammonds: A Marriage in History"--grew out of my interests in British industrial and labor history, political reform, and twentieth-century British liberalism. Lately my interests have turned toward environmental history, specifically the cultural history of nature, land, and landscapes. In collaboration with Maurice Isserman (UR PhD 1979), I recently completed "Fallen Giants," a comprehensive history of Himalayan exploration and mountaineering that won the National Outdoor Book Award. I am currently at work on a short history of exploration for Oxford University Press. I teach surveys of British, Irish, and South Asian history and seminars on Environmental History and the History of Exploration.
I offer the following fields for the PhD qualifying examination. For explanations of fields, see the "Graduate Overview" page in the Graduate Handbook.
History of India and South Asia (Transnational)
Modern British History
Modern European History (Transnational)
Environmental History (Transnational)
History of Exploration (Transnational)
Nature, Land, and Landscape (Transnational)
I will be accepting students for admission in Fall 2015.
- HIS 100: Gateway to History: Exploration
- HIS 103: West and the World since 1492
- HIS 237: England and Ireland since 1800
- HIS 238: History of British India
- HIS 300W/400: History of Nature
- Exploration: A Very Short Introduction (2015)
- Fallen Giants: A History of Himalayan Mountaineering from the Age of Empire to the Age of Extremes with Maurice Isserman (2008) Amazon»
- "The Bleak Age: J. H. Clapham, the Hammonds, and the Standard of Living in Victorian Britain," in Miles Taylor and Michael Wolff, eds., The Victorians Since 1901 (2004) Amazon»
- "Christopher Lasch and the Politics of the Plain Style," Introduction to Christopher Lasch, Plain Style: A Guide to Written English, edited by Stewart Weaver (2002) Amazon»
- The Hammonds: A Marriage in History (1997). Amazon»
- John Fielden and the Politics of Popular Radicalism 1832-1847 (1987). Amazon»