Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference—Spring 2001
Friday March 30th, 2001
8:30-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-9:15 am Opening Remarks
- Lisa Cartwright, Director, Susan B. Anthony Institute; Associate Professor of English and of Visual and Cultural Studies
9:15-10:45 am Panel I: Work in Progress: Susan B. Anthony Dissertation Fellows
- Mara Amster, English "'Stirring Up Men to Lust': Bewitching the Body, Discovering Disease, and Studying the Siren"
- Narin Hassan, English "Fictional Inoculations: Women Writers, Colonial Medicine and the Literature of Sensation"
- Lynn Wemmett Nichols, Nursing "Women and Adherence to Health Care Regimens"
11:00-11:55 am Panel II: Gender Performance and Visual Culture
- Daniel I. Humphrey, Visual & Cultural Studies "Gender Skammen: Notes for an Inquiry into Performativity and Subjectivity"
- Elizabeth Wells, Musicology, Eastman School of Music: "'Me and Velma Ain't Dumb': The Women of West Side Story"
12:00-12:45 pm Roundtable: Dissertation Group
- Margot Bouman
- Edward Chan
- Narin Hassan
- Jennifer Klein Hudak
- Joanna Mitchell, Kirsi Peltomaki
- Lisa Soccio
12:45-2:00 pm Lunch
2:00-3:20 pm Panel III: Historicizing Gender
- Jomarie Alano, History "Lessons in Resistance: Ada Gobetti's Early Correspondence and Writings, 1918-1926"
- Catherine Higginson, English, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada "Reading Rape, Empire, and Domestic Femininity in the 'Captivity' Narrative of Gowanlock and Delaney"
- April Miller, English "Reproducing the Vampire: Women, Criminality and Monstrosity in Early-Twentieth-Century Culture"
3:30-4:50 pm Panel IV: Reading Culture, Representing Bodies
- Barbara Brickman, English "'Delicate' Cutters: Self-Mutilation and Attractive Flesh in Popular and Psychoanalytic Discourses"
- Joanna Grant, English "The Andrometer Strain: Towards a Brief Cultural History of Pelvimetry
- Dawn Roy, '99 UR; English, SUNY Buffalo, "Watching Women, Watching Weight: Representations of Fat Women in Popular Television
Conference Planning Committee:
Jennifer Ailles, Tatyana Bakhmetyeva, Anne Birien, Lucy Curzon, Narin Hassan Carmen Reyes, and Lisa Soccio