Skip to main content


Program Costs and Fees

UR Programs

Students attending UR programs will be charged Rochester tuition and room costs for their semester abroad. These charges will appear on your Rochester term bill. If you participate in a semester exchange program, you will be billed by UR for tuition; your host institution will bill you directly for housing. 

The bill will not reflect the registration for your specific education abroad program, but will show any anticipated or expected financial aid. The standard Rochester housing charge covers the basic housing level that the program offers, generally with one or two roommates. Some programs offer optional premium housing, but students who choose to take advantage of it are responsible for any additional costs.

Non-UR Programs

Each non-UR program has a different fee depending on what the program includes (room, board, tuition, etc.), as well as cost of living in the host country, currency exchange, and other factors. Keep in mind that, for example, studying in Paris, London, or Tokyo can be much more costly than a semester in Jerusalem or Lima.

If you choose to attend a non-UR program, you will not be eligible to receive the same financial aid. It is especially important to discuss your plans with your financial aid counselor to determine what types of aid you will be eligible for while abroad and to ensure the continuation of your aid when you return. For more information, see the financial aid page.

Students who participate in a non-UR program will be charged an administrative Study Abroad Fee by The College (see "Additional Expenses" below). Students may not take a Leave of Absence and earn study abroad transfer credit.

Students attending non-UR programs will be billed by the program/institution for tuition, room, and fees. Your UR bill will reflect the Non-UR Study Abroad fee.

Non-Refundable Deposits

Once students are admitted to programs, they are required to inform the Center for Education Abroad and the program sponsor of their plans as quickly as possible. Many programs ask for a non-refundable deposit to hold a student's place in the program. Deposits range from $100 to $1,000 and are discussed in acceptance materials. The average is around $300.

Students admitted to semester DIS, EPA, IES Abroad, and most UR programs will be asked to submit an Intent to Enroll form, rather than submitting confirmation deposit. If a student does not participate after submitting this form, they will be responsible for the deposit.  Students who participate in summer or other short-term programs must pay a confirmation deposit.

Withdrawal Policy

In the event that you enroll in an education abroad program and are unable to complete it, refunds (if any) will be based on Rochester’s standard refund schedule, and on recoverable costs. The refund schedule is applied according to the calendar of the education abroad program. If you enroll in a non-UR program, no refund is possible for the study abroad fee and you will need to talk to your program about any possible refunds.

Additional Expenses

In addition to program fees, there are other expenses you will need to cover when studying abroad, such as:

  • Application fee:Most programs do not charge an application fee.  If there is a fee, expect it to be between $30 and $75.
  • Study Abroad Fee: $1,596 per semester, for non-UR programs only (2017-18).
  • Passport and Passport Photo: See the US passport and international travel website for the most up-to-date information about passport fees and requirements.
  • Visas: Costs and entrance requirements vary, but expect to pay between $75 and $560. For details about how to apply for a visa, contact the consulate or embassy of the country where you will study.
  • Health Insurance: All students to be covered by health insurance while abroad; check whether your current policy will cover you while you're abroad*.
  • Vaccinations: Some countries require entering travelers to be vaccinated against certain diseases. Costs range from $30 to $150. See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information.
  • AIDS Tests: Proof of a negative AIDS test is required before entering certain countries. See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information.
  • Airfare:Airfare is an out-of-pocket expense that you must budget for.  Even if you expect to receive a financial aid refund, it will not be disbursed until after the beginning of the semester.
  • Other typical expenses:

*Some programs/foreign universities require you to subscribe to their health plan.

Managing Money

The Center for Education Abroad, the Financial Aid Office, or your program sponsor can provide you with a list of estimated costs for going abroad, along with a budget sheet to help you plan your expenses.