Llerena G. Searle
PhD, Department of Anthropology, Making Space for Capital: The Production of Global Landscapes in Contemporary India", University of Pennsylvania, 2010
BA, Williams College, 1999
Prof Searle’s research explores the social, cultural, and geographical changes that have accompanied globalization in South Asia and the ways in which capitalist practices shape urban space. Her first book, Landscapes of Accumulation: Real Estate and the Neoliberal Imagination in Contemporary India, has just been published with the University of Chicago Press. The book explains the rapid growth of Indian cities and the proliferation of new malls, high-rises, and office parks across India by examining the practices and ideas of those who fund real estate projects. Prof Searle worked with international financiers and real estate developers to understand how they transform Indian buildings into legible assets available to international networks of speculative finance. Building on her interest in cultures of capitalism, urban space, and consumer practices, her next project will investigate domestic consumer culture to understand emerging ideals of class and gender in India’s new high-rises.
Fellowships, Honors & Awards
- Internal Junior Fellow, Humanities Center, University of Rochester, Spring 2017
- American Institute of Indian Studies, Junior Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2007-2008
- National Science Foundation, Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant, 2006
- American Institute of Indian Studies, Advanced Language Program Fellowship, 2004-2005
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- Ant 121: The City: Contested Spaces
- Ant 205: Theories & Debates in Anthropology: Personhood
- Ant 268: Science, Culture, and Expertise
- 2016. Landscapes of Accumulation: Real Estate and the Neoliberal Imagination in Contemporary India. University of Chicago Press, South Asia across the Disciplines.
- University of Chicago Press
- Spectrum Culture
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Searle, Llerena Guiu. 2014. Conflict and commensuration: Contested market making in India’s private real estate development sector. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 38(1): 60-79.
- Searle, Llerena Guiu. 2013. “Conflict and commensuration: Contested market making in India’s private real estate development sector.” In Contesting the Indian city: Global visions and the politics of the local, editor Gavin Shaktin. Wiley-Blackwell, Studies in Urban Change.
- Searle, Llerena Guiu. 2013. Constructing prestige and elaborating the ‘professional’: Elite residential complexes in the National Capital Region, India. Contributions to Indian Sociology 47(2): 271-302.
- Nakassis, Constantine V. and Llerena Guiu Searle. 2013. Introduction: Constructing boundaries and negotiating status: Self-fashioning projects in post-liberalization India. Contributions to Indian Sociology 47(2): 169-83.
- Seminarist. 2008. Betting on growth. Seminar February (582): 51-6.