Grants and Awards
The Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies is pleased to offer grants to University of Rochester undergraduate students to support research in gender and women's studies. Proposals may include such items as expenses connected with research, travel for research purposes, and travel to professional conferences; research grant funding may not be used to pay for participant incentives. Preference will be given to Women's Studies Majors, Minors and Cluster students.
Students are encouraged to contact the Susan B. Anthony Institute with any questions about undergraduate research grants.
To apply for a Research Grant, please click the following link to go to the online application form and submit when complete: Research Grant Application form. Your application must also include a letter of reference from a faculty member. Please have your reference email the letter to email@example.com by the due date.
Research grants may be either for research undertaken this academic year or for research planned for summer. Receipts should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than one month after expenses occur. Applications are due in October, February and April each year. Please see our events calendar for the exact dates.
When completing your grant application, we encourage you to keep the following in mind:
- People from a variety of disciplines are on the Research Grants Committee. Please make clear how your subject matter is centrally related to gender and/or women's studies in a way that is comprehensible to people far outside your field.
- It is incumbent upon you to create a case for relevance and to convey precisely how your research contributes to the field. We will only support work that advances an understanding of gender and/or women’s studies.
- Research on female subjects does not automatically qualify.
- Among Faculty, only SBAI Associates (not Affiliates) are eligible for Research Grant funds.
- Receipts and expenses MUST be presented for reimbursement within 45 days of travel or purchase. This allows us two weeks for adequate processing time. Expenses presented after 60 days will NOT be reimbursable as per the University’s policy in accordance with IRS reporting guidelines.
Susan B. Anthony Institute Awards
Independent Research in Gender and Women's Studies
Beginning in 1999, this annual award recognizes excellence in undergraduate research. It will be presented at year's end to the student who has completed the best undergraduate research project in gender and women's studies during the academic year. Students will generally have completed this work as a women's studies independent research, independent study, or honors project. All undergraduate Women's Studies students (majors and minors) are eligible. The award is not restricted to graduating seniors. Students are nominated by SBAI faculty associates.
Beginning in 1999, this annual award will be presented at year's end to the student whose work in gender and women's studies has contributed most significantly to the local campus or Rochester community during the academic year. Many students will have completed this work during a women's studies internship in the Rochester community, but there are any number of other possibilities--for instance, non credit-bearing work in the Rochester community, work with student groups on campus that focus on gender and women's studies (i.e., Women's Caucus, CASHA [Coalition Against Sexual Harassment & Assault], GLBFA [Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Friends Association]), organizing co-curricular events on campus that focus on gender and women's studies. All undergraduate Women's Studies students (majors and minors) are eligible. The award is not restricted to graduating seniors. Students are nominated by SBAI faculty associates.