Rocxxy: Summer Internship in Feminist Activism and Leadership
Rocxxy (pronounced "Roxie") is an 10-week summer program for undergraduate students coordinated by the Susan B. Anthony Insitute for Gender and Women's Studies at the University of Rochester. The program combines a professional insternship experience with guest speakers, field trips to historic sites, and readings and reflections on feminist activism and leadership. This combination of academic, experiential, and professional experiences is meant to inspire and equip students to become stronger, more prepared leaders for social change.
A cohort of six students will work for 20-25 hours per week for the 10-week summer semester, May 18-July 26. Rocxxy orientation will take place May 13 to 14 and includes an overnight trip. Internships will be held at several Rochester nonprofits that offer services based on feminist activism and leadership. Students will meet on Wednesday mornings for three to four hours for lectures, discussion of readings, and, during some of the sessions, to hear from a guest speaker. Students will also use this time to reflect on their internships.
At the end of the summer, students will be required to submit a journal that reflects their overall experiences in the community and in the cohort. Students will receive housing on campus but will not receive credit or pay for the internship. Students will have the option of doing an independent study based on their internship in the following fall semester with a faculty member of their choosing.
2015 Internship sites may include:
- Planned Parenthood of Western and Central New York - Department of Community Affairs
- The Genesee Valley Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union
- Alternatives for Battered Women
- Girls Rock! Rochester Summer Camp
- The Susan B. Anthony Center for Women’s Leadership
- The Gay Alliance of Genesee Valley
- Young Women's College Prep Charter School
2015 Historic field trips include:
- Seneca Falls, NY:
- Women’s Rights National Historic Park
- Rochester, NY:
- The Susan B. Anthony Museum and House
- Auburn, NY:
- The Harriet Tubman House
- Fayetteville, NY
- The Matilda Joslyn Gage House