To view Frequently Asked Question answers, click on the appropriate question to see the section expand for the response. Click on the question once more to close the expanded view.
FM-Q13: Which invoices are electronic and will not show an invoice within UR Financials (Workday)
Please refer to this listing of electronic invoices and contacts for invoice retrieval, if the order placer does not have a copy. Remember the UR Financials system does not contain electronic invoices.
GL-Q1 What are Beginning Balance Journals? What do they do?
When the General Accounting Manager runs a task called Roll Forward Year-End Balances, the system creates beginning balances for assets and liabilities in the next fiscal year. These journals can be returned in reports regardless of period selection.
If you had, an outstanding billed receivables for a sponsor at the end of FY15, a journal will be created in FY16 to create a the same amount beginning balance with that sponsor worktag in FY16. The task is re-run periodically to pick up any post-closing adjustments.
To view Beginning Balances, Non Company Level users have an option to include Beginning Balances with these reports.
- FAO Activity Summary by Months (NCL) URF0392
- Find Journal Lines Details (NCL) URF0399
- Transaction Details by Months (NCL) URF0398
- Transaction Details – Data Extract (NCL) URF0400
Listed below is a partial definitions list associated with the UR Financials and the Financial Data Model. For additional terms, please visit the Financial section of the Data Cookbook.
Accounting Date -The accounting period it will be posted to in UR Financials
Award – The Award captures attributes to correctly bill, collect and report activities related to a sponsored agreement. Frequently referred to as the Terms and Conditions (T&C)
Award Amendments – Mechanism to allow modifications to an award such as incremental funding, extended award period, no cost extension, etc.
Award Budget – The financial framework for an award by object class, including revisions approved by the sponsor. Award budgets are not created for contingent grants and nonfederal clinical trials
Award Date – Award Start Date
Award Purpose Codes – Used to explain the purpose or focus of the award. For example: Clinical Research, Instruction, Organized Research, and Sponsored Programs
Award Schedule – Represents the life of the Award and is the background for billing and reporting
Award Type – Grant/Contract in FRS
Billing Schedule – Required for billing (types of billing allowed and how often can be billed, i.e. budget dates)
Budget Date – The date the service was provided, materials/supplies delivered, or charge was incurred. If a service is provided for a period of time, use last date
Budget Structure – Now referred to as Plan Structure in the UR Financials system. Used to designate the reporting structure type within the Award Budgetary Balance Report (NCL) URF0840
Cost Share Total – From Form 150
Facilities and Administration – Facilities and Administration costs (also known as Indirect costs) are general institutional expenditures that are incurred for multiple or shared projects, functions or activities and therefore cannot be specifically identified with relative ease and with a high degree of accuracy to a sponsored award, an instructional FAO, or any other institutional FAO
FDM – Financial Data Model; encompasses the combination of FRS accounts, sub-codes , divisions, and departments. The organization of accounting codes used to classify expenditures, revenue sources, assets and liabilities. Also known as the Chart of Accounts (COA). This includes accounts, subcodes, departments
Financial Activity Object (FAO) – A category of worktags used to indicate the authority area responsible for funds. One of the worktags in this category must be entered or selected on every transaction. There are six Financial Activity Objects: gift, grant, project, operating program, loan program, and debt service
Fund – Required on every operational transaction and accounting journal. Will be auto balanced in Workday (2nd balancing worktag)
FAIN – Represents source of funding and net asset classification. Charges to grants default to the Sponsored Awards – Unrestricted fund, ie Federal Award Information Number
Grant – Workday uses the grant worktag as the primary cost and revenue collector for an award. If you want to charge against a grant on a purchase order, you use the grants worktag. If you want to recognize revenue on the award, you use the grants worktag. Similarly, if you want to charge finance and administrative expenses to the award, you will use the grant worktag. The Grant Worktag is used as the primary cost and revenue collector for an award line. Usually begins with GR5#####.
Grant Year Number – Project Year in FRS
Object Class – Used to meet your sponsor’s requirements for facilities and administration management, controlling expenses, and reporting. A list of object class codes and descriptions will be created for each of our sponsor’s cost categories
Plan Structure – Previously referred to as Budget Structure in the UR Financials system. Used to designate the reporting structure type within the Award Budgetary Balance Report (NCL) URF0840
Primary Award Line – Master Account Number in FRS
Revenue Category – Used to identify the different types of revenues posted by the Company. When using a revenue category, a ledger account will automatically be derived by configuring the account posting rule set
Spend Category – Used to provide a more granular view of the expenses incurred by the Company. When using a spend category, a ledger account will automatically be derived by configuring the account posting rule set
Sponsor – Takes responsibility for and initiates a research/clinical investigation. May be an individual or pharmaceutical company, governmental agency, academic institution, private organization, or other organization
Sponsored Award Types – Used to identify various types of Awards for reporting purposes. For example, Contract, Cooperative Agreement, Financial Aid, Grant, Sub-recipient Agreement
Worktag – Attributes attached to transactions that are grouped using common identifiers or functions. Allows detailed reporting and filtering capabilities, ie FAO (GR5#####), Spend or Revenue Category, Fund, Sponsor, etc.
FM-Q10: How do I get an RFP check mailed back to me?
- No special approval is needed when the mail back is for one of these reasons:
–Patient‐related insurance refunds
–Payment must accompany notarized/official documentation
–Human Resources gratuity payments
–Payee has a foreign address
–Prize/Award/Honorarium-type payments, only if handed to the recipient
- Requests for other mail back reasons must be accompanied by Divisional Finance approval. They should either be the Approver on the form or sign next to the mail back indicator box
- Ensure that the reason for check mail back is designated and that Divisional Finance approval is on the RFP form prior to submitting
FM-Q14: What account codes do I use on all SOLO, FedEx and other orders
- Everyone should be using new Workday accounting codes on all SOLO orders (orders placed on the internet) including FedEx: SC#####OP######
- Everyone should be using new Workday accounting codes on ALL forms sent to AP: CMxxx, SCxxxxx, OPxxxxxx
–Do not write accounting codes on all invoices sent to AP
–If the account # you are writing/stamping is on a PO invoice and is the same that appears on the PO, then you are creating more work for AP by putting the account # on the invoice (and could introduce typos on our part as well)
- In these cases, please just sign/initial that you have seen it and it is ok for us to process
- Please only write/stamp a Company, FAO, and Spend Category on a PO invoice if it differs from the distribution on the PO
- If ordering a new stamp, please include Company
G-Q1: How do I View Grants and Awards in UR Financials?
A1: If you have access to Grants in UR Financials, you may want to view Grant and Award details/attributes you have access to. Visit the Training Materials page to view this Job Aid entitled “Viewing a Grant and Award“.
Follow these steps to see PI information from the View Grant details and Award Line Summary information such as Award Line Amount, Status and Dates.
AP-Q1: What are the Accounts Payable Contacts and Escalation steps for invoice issues?
- All RFPs and invoices are being processed/entered within one week from receipt
- Date stamp all RFPs/invoices received in the mail
- Cross-trained staff on multiple different activities so that individuals are better able to address questions/concerns vs. always having to speak to the expert
–275-3483 (prompts were updated last month)
–Escalate to Phillis Alexander 275-6461
–Issues can further be escalated to Marta Herman 275-7880
–Issues can further be escalated to Jim Dobbertin 275-3476
Tips and Tricks
These tips and tricks have been documented in detail within URF Newsletters located on the Newsletter page. Access them by following the link to the specific Newsletter, then click the Tips and Tricks link at the top, right of the page.
- Adding Favorites Worklet to your Home page
- Accessing the Grants Management Dashboard
- Accounting Date versus Budget Date tip
- How to select Printer Settings for UR Financial reports
- OnBase viewing tip
- How to print multiple reports from the W: Drive
- Update Favorites in your Worklets due to recent report changes tip
- How to remove Allocations from the Transaction Details by Months (NCL) URF0398 report
- Navigating the Grants Management Reporting Demonstration and Discussion video
- How to view Supplier Invoices In Workday
- What is the Current and Prior Periods option in the Period prompt?
- How to Create, Use and Manage Report Filters