Speegle-Wilbraham Aquatic Center
Home of Yellowjacket Women's and Men's Swimming and Diving, Masters Swim Program, Club Sports and Open Recreation
Aquatic Center Hours
Housed in the Goergen Athletic Center, the Speegle-Wilbraham Aquatic Center was named form Roman Leo Speegle and Hazel Wilbraham, two of the exemplary teachers in Rochester's vibrant history. Speegle an exemplary coach and teacher at the University (1926 - 1963), will long be remembered for his warmth and good spirit and for the sportsmanship and skill he represented and passed on to generations of students. Wilbraham teacher and friend at the University (1927 - 1957), will be remembered for her vibrant personality and unquenchable honor made life in the cooperative dormitories and on the playing fields an unforgettable part of her students' education. The Speegle-Wilbraham Aquatic Center has been the home pool of over 100 All-American honorees from the University of Rochester men's and women's swimming and diving teams.
The Aquatic Center had the honor of hosting the inaugural University Athletic Association (UAA) swimming and diving championships in 1987-88. In the summer of 2012, the pool underwent a major renovation including a re-surfacing of the pool, updated locker rooms, and a state of the art filtration system. Features of the Speegle-Wilbraham Aquatics Center include:
- 8 lane 25 yd. x 25 m competitive swimming pool
- Diving well with 3 meter and 1 meter diving boards
- Sound System
- Adjacent Locker Rooms
To ensure a comfortable and safe atmosphere for all patrons, please be courteous and respectful to others at the Goergen Athletic Center.
- The aquatic center will be available for use during Open Recreation swimming time with a full staff of University of Rochester Lifeguards assigned.
- Please shower before entering the pool. Showering prior to entering the pool and the use of a bathing cap are recommended when using the aquatic center pool. Swimmers must wear a bathing suit, cutoff shorts are not permitted in the aquatic center.
- Always enter the water feet first to prevent head and neck injuries. Feet first entry is required for a safe entry into the aquatic center pool.
- For your safety, please assist us in keeping all glass bottles away from the pool deck. Plastic water bottles are permissible on the deck, all other food and drinks are prohibited.
- Always walk while on deck to prevent slips and falls.
- Please respect the boundaries of all our patrons and lifeguards.
- Use of cellular telephones or tablets for photography or videotaping is strictly prohibited.
- To assist us in providing a safe facility, please keep all pets at home. Service animals are welcome in the athletic center.
- Diving boards and starting blocks are for the University Swimming and Diving Team’s use during supervised training sessions and meets.
- Children are always welcome in our facility. If your child is under 16, please accompany them to insure their safety. At no time may children use swimmers or any other floatation device in the place of a qualified adult supervisor. Children under the age of 5 years are not permitted in the aquatic center.
- Restrooms and showers are available in each locker room adjacent to the aquatic center. Please refrain from spitting in the pool.
- When more than two persons are using a lane, please circle swim to accommodate all patrons. Circle swimming is required when more than two people are sharing a lane. Always alert swimmers when you are going to enter the lane.
- Maximum user count is 284 as per University Fire Inspector.
- All swimmers are subject to passing a swim test before being allowed to swim. The test consists on swimming a full length of the pool without stopping to hold onto the side or stopping to touch the bottom of the pool. Those who pass the test will be allowed access to the aquatic center. You may be required to pass the test each time you visit the aquatic center.
- Violation of any policy set forth by the Department of Athletic and Recreation or any action deemed inappropriate may result in the acting participant’s membership being suspended or revoked.
Training for R club members to participate in competitive swimming and triathlon preparation Monday & Wednesday from 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM and Sunday from 10:30am- 12:00pm.
For more information please contact Cameron Dwyer at email@example.com.
Like us on Facebook to get updates on our facilities.