Intramural Basketball Rules
- Open – any combination of males or females may participate
- Co-Rec – at least 2 females must be on the playing surface at all times
- Single Gender – only members of that gender may participate
Each team will consist of no more than 5 players on the court. Players shall play on ONLY 1 TEAM IN A LEAGUE! You may play on one co-rec team, for example, and one open league team, but NOT an A league team and an open team at the same time. This is a rule that ensures fair competition in all leagues.
- Each game will consist of 2 15- minute halves with running time. During the last 3 minutes of each half, the clock will be stopped on dead balls.
- Half time will be 5 minutes.
- No overtimes until playoffs.
- Each team receives one, 1 minute time out per half.
- Time will only be stopped for injury or as deemed necessary by the official.
- College NCAA basketball rules apply except as stated on this sheet.
- A team shall receive 1 points for all baskets made except from beyond the designated 3-point line, in which it will receive 2 points. The official will determine from where the shot was taken.
- ZONE DEFENSES are allowed.
- One conduct technical foul (i.e. unsportsmanlike behavior, taunting, etc.,) results in an automatic disqualification of that player and removal from the gym and a point and ball will be awarded to the opposing team. These are called by the game official and failure to leave the gym in one minute will result in a forfeit for the disqualified player’s team.
- Any foul with malicious intent is a flagrant foul and the offensive team receives 1 point or 2 points on a 3-point shot and the ball. Ejection of player is determined by supervisor.
- More than one flagrant or conduct technical foul may result in forfeit of the game for the disqualified player’s team. This will be determined by the official.
- Foul situation all game:• Officials will make the calls during the game.• Only team fouls will be kept by the officials.• Player Control fouls will result in a change in possession.• Defensive fouls #1-6 will result in retained offensive possession. Fouls #7-9 (Bonus)will result in a foul shot (1 pt.). Fouls #10 and up (Double Bonus) will result in and automatic point and the ball.• Fouls will be kept in first half and second half separately
- NO 10 sec. BACKCOURT VIOLATION, No 5 second Or 3 second violations will be called.
- A 30 second shot clock will be in effect the last 3 minutes of the game, as determined by the official.
- In the event of a tie, overtime will be in 3 minutes.
- A 30 second shot clock will be in effect during the 3 minute overtime, as determined by official.