What is Collaborate?
Collaborate is a web conferencing tool that can be used to facilitate synchronous online sessions. The system has the capability to establish audio and video connections between moderators and participants. Moderators have the option to use various tools, such as whiteboard, presentation, application sharing, and web tour within their online sessions.
Collaborate can be used for:
- Online or Distance Learning courses
- Holding Online/Virtual Office Hours or Review Sessions
- Student collaborative group work
- Teaching from Remote Locations
- Guest lectures
- Facilitating meetings with participants in remote locations
Please contact Lisa Brown (email@example.com or 275-9162) for more information.
Please adhere to all University policies with regard to Social Security Numbers (SSN), Personal Identifying Information (PII), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in the use of this product.
- Step 1: Check your browser and Java
- Step 2: Enter the v12.5 Configuration Room and set up your audio/video
- During business hours, contact your local Blackboard support team.
- Outside of business hours, contact the Collaborate team by Phone or Live Chat.
Quick Reference Guides
- Audio Setup Wizard (pdf)
NEW: Collaborate Launcher
All users will be required to use the new Blackboard Collaborate Launcher to join a collaborate session. This will alleviate the issues associated with Java dependencies and the Apple operating system.
Information for Participants
Information for Moderators
Integrating Collaborate with Blackboard
The following are some tips for having the optimum experience with Blackboard Collaborate.
- Always run the audio setup wizard when you enter a session. This will verify that all of your equipment (speakers and microphone) are working properly.
- Make sure that you only launch one session. Launching multiple sessions from the same computer can cause problems, including having your computer crash or making your audio echo. Make sure that you only open the downloaded session launcher once.
- If you are experiencing audio problems during a session, you may need to exit the session and re-join. Sometimes it is also useful to clear your browser history before re-joining.
- Use the Network Settings preferences to tell your system what type of network connection you are connected through. Blackboard Collaborate uses this information to determine how much information to send to you at a time.
The following is a list of known issues with Collaborate:
- Chrome browser on OS 10.10 (Yosemite) is unsupported with Collaborate
- Please use Firefox or Safari 8 if you have upgraded to Yosemite, but note that you must also be on Java 7. Java 8 is not supported.
- Cannot upload Powerpoint files from Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)
- http://blackboard.force.com/publickbarticleview?id=kA370000000H4AN (includes a workaround)
- It is crucial to have your Powerpoint preference set at "Save every slide" in order for the workaround in the article to work.
Blackboard Collaborate Plan
Blackboard Collaborate Publish