Below are instructions for creating a basic assignment in Blackboard, providing students with an interface to submit the assignment online. You may also want to view:
- Create or Edit Assignment - Blackboard's guide to adding and editing assignments, including more advanced options
- Basic Grading Instructions **Please see this doc for changes in SP13 - the easiest, most basic method for grading assignments
The Assignment feature allows you to set up assignment instructions with availability and due dates. It will automatically create a corresponding column in the Grade Center, which is where you go to retrieve and grade the submissions.
In order to edit your course in Blackboard, the Edit Mode button in the upper right must be in the ON position. If it's off, click the button to turn it on:
1. In the Course Menu, click on desired Content Area (Course Materials, Assignments, etc…).
2. From the Assessment dropdown, choose Assignment
3. Type in the assignment’s name (do not include special characters in an assignment name, such as # or &) and type in your instructions.
4. Attach any files that you want the student to use for the assignment. Input how many points you want this assignment to be worth (must be a number, not a letter grade). You also have the option of attaching a rubric to any gradable item in Blackboard (more on Rubrics). Select the availability of this assignment (more detail on availability options below).
5. Enter the due date for the assignment. The due date will display to the student on the submission screen after they click the Assignment link. Students can still access and submit the assignment after the due date passes, but any submission arriving after the due date will be marked "Late" in the grading interface. The time window for the student to actually submit is controlled with the "Limit Availability" settings.
6. Select who will receive the assignment. If this is a group assignment, the groups will need to be set up beforehand.
7. Click the Submit button.
- Make the assignment available - Select Yes and users will view the Assignment. Select No and the assignment will not be visible to users.
- Number of attempts - You can allow a limited or unlimited number of submission attempts. All attempts are retained in the Grade Center.
- Track number of views - This option lets you track how often individual users view the item in the Content Area. It does NOT tell you if the user has ever clicked on the assignment link. If you've turned on tracking, you can view the results by choosing "View Statistics" from the pulldown next to the item.
- Availability Dates - This option automates the "Make the assignment available" option based on the dates and times you enter. Be certain to check the checkboxes as well as entering the dates.
Q: Why would I want to keep my assignment from being visible?
A: If you are not finished with your assignment you may choose to delay the accessibility of your assignment.
Q: What happens if I do not choose a Display After/Until Date and Time?
A: If you do not click on the Display check boxes, your assignment will be visible as long as your course is available.
Q: How do I add a file to my assignment?
A: From the Assignments page, click on the assignment in which you want to add a file to. If you scroll down, there will be a Browse button. Locate the file you wish to add and click the Open button. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Submit button.