The Create Folder feature allows you to create folders within Content Areas to help organize course content. Folders make it easier for students to find documents by limiting the amount of scrolling they need to do and by labeling specific content areas. There are two main ways of using folders to organize your material; content-based and chronology-based. An example of content-based organization is creating a folder for all your lecture notes, another for readings, another for assignments, etc. A chronological or unit-based system would have a folder for each week or unit that contains the lecture notes, readings and assignments for that unit in one folder.
Note: Items must be uploaded into each folder. Although items (not folders) cannot be dragged and dropped from other areas of Blackboard, they can be copied or moved between areas or courses.
Any time you want to make changes to your Blackboard course, be sure that Edit Mode is turned on. The button will be located near the top right of your screen. Toggling the Edit Mode to "Off" will give you a student view.
1. Click on desired Content Area from the Course Menu.
2. Click or hover on the Build Content button, and from the flyout menu, choose New Content Folder, under the New Page column.
3. Enter a name for the folder into the Name field.
4. Type a description of the folder contents into the Text field.
Please note: this is just a folder description that appears next to the folder in the Content Area. In order to add content within the folder, click the link to the folder in the Content Area, then use the Create Item and Build buttons to add content.
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Submit button.
You can copy or move items between folders in your course, or even between your courses. This only works for certain types of items (e.g., text items, files, and discussion forums). It does not work with items that have a connection to the Grade Center, such as assignments, tests, and surveys.
To move an item to another folder:
1. Using the contextual dropdown next to the item, select Copy.
2. On the next screen, the current course will automatically be selected. If you want to copy the item to another course, choose that course from the pulldown list.
3. Browse to choose the destination folder.
4. If you want to move the item, rather than just copy it, click Yes on "Delete Item After Copy.
Q: Can I change the order of my folders?
A: Yes, click and drag the arrow to the left of the folder name.
Q: Can I add folders in other folders?
A: Yes, once inside a folder you can choose to add additional folders or any other type of content available in Blackboard.