Frequently Asked Questions - Student Portal
- What is my.rochester.edu?
- How do I get access?
- What is the student's username in my.rochester.edu?
- Why would a student NOT use their NetID?
- Does it matter what operating system and browser I use to connect to my.rochester.edu?
- What features are available in the portal?
- Why do some of my courses say they're "unavailable?"
- I just registered for a new course - why don't I see the link for it in Blackboard?
- I need to be added to a course as a student/TA. How do I do that?
- How can I see courses from a previous semester?
- Can I check my email from within my.rochester.edu?
- Why do I see a blank screen when I click the My Email tab?
- Why am I not getting my instructor's emails?
- My email address is wrong in Blackboard. How can I fix it?
- Can I check other email accounts from within my.rochester.edu?
- Is this the only way to check my University email?
- Is there any information about Campus services and offices available?
- Can I add money to my meal plan?
- Can my parents add money to my meal plan?
- Can I pay my tuition bill through my.rochester.edu?
- Why don't I see the link to UR ePay?
- I have questions about UR ePay (questions about my bill, setting up an Authorized Payer).
- Do parents have access to my.rochester.edu?
- I should see a tab for Student Access in Blackboard and I don't. How can I get this fixed?
- I have questions about what I see on my Student Access tab.
My.rochester.edu is the University's student portal. It is based on a system called Blackboard.
Incoming students should have already received an email when their account was created. This email would have told them how to log in (usually NetID).
Student and faculty accounts are created automatically based on registration data. The system receives course listing and enrollments periodically. These automatically generate accounts for the instructors on record for courses, and the students enrolled in those courses. If you are not enrolled in courses, you may not automatically receive an account.
Staff receive accounts based on employment data. No email is sent for staff accounts.
Most students will log in to the student portal with their NetID and NetID password. Some students may not be able to do this and would have account information and temporary password in that email.
We are sharing the Blackboard system with the Medical Center. They use a different authentication system for their users. If a user from their system was already in Blackboard with the same username, we cannot duplicate it. We will work with any of these students to change their NetID at a later date.
Yes. The software that runs my.rochester.edu (Blackboard) is tested and certified (or compatible) only with certain browser versions on either Windows or MacOS. Check the Browser Compatibility document for details.
Currently students in the College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering will see the following “tabs”. Main, Courses, My Email, Student Access, My Accounts, Activities, Libraries.
Students at the Warner Graduate School of Education see Main, Courses, My Accounts, Student Access and Libraries.
Students at the Eastman School of Music see Main, Courses, My Email, Student Access and My Accounts.
Students at the Simon School of business see Main, Courses, My Accounts, Student Access and Libraries.
For more explanation about tabs, see detail below.
The availability of courses in Blackboard is controlled by the instructor. Early in the semester, some instructors may still be building the content in their Blackboard courses, and may not make it available until they're ready. Also, there are instructors who do not use Blackboard, so their courses will not be made available.
The registrar's database (ISIS) and Blackboard do not have "real time" synchronization. Blackboard data is updated from ISIS three times a day Monday through Friday. If you've registered for a new course, first be sure that it shows up for you in Student Access. Once it does, it should show up as a Course link on your Blackboard Main tab within a few hours. If it shows up on the Main tab but says "Unavailable," it means that your instructor has not turned on the course yet. The instructor may not be ready to allow access to the course, or may not be using Blackboard.
The instructor of the course can add you. If the instructor does not know how to do this, there are instructions at http://www.rochester.edu/blackboard/manage_users.html, or they can contact Blackboard support. Please note that Blackboard support cannot add a student or TA to a course at the user's request. The request must be authorized by the instructor.
Course availability for students is turned off 30 days after the end of a semester. If you need access to materials from a previous semester, you will need to contact the instructor of the course and ask that it be made available again. Once the instructor re-enables the course, you will need to switch to the Course tab (instead of Main) to find the link to the course.
Yes. Students in the College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering and Eastman School of Music can check their University email account (firstname.lastname@example.org).
My Email opens in a new window, so there a couple of things that may be going on:
First, be sure you have not disabled popups. If you have, email cannot appear.
Depending on your browser settings, the email window will open either in a new window, or a new tab. Check to see if a new tab is being created in your browser window, or if there's a new window that's hidden behind other windows on your desktop.
First, check your junk mail folder. In many cases, emails coming from Blackboard seem to end up there.
Another possibility is that your email address is incorrect in Blackboard. To check, go to the Global Navigation link in the top right hand corner of Blackboard:
Click on My Places, then Personal Information/Edit Personal Information. Enter your preferred email address and click Submit.
Go to the Global Navigation in the top right hand banner of Blackboard. This is the pull-down menu where your name is located.
Click on Settings, then Personal Information, then Edit Personal Information. Enter your preferred email address and click Submit.
No, only the University email account.
No, you can log in to your URgmail account at http://mail.u.rochester.edu, or pop your email to your personal computer. Providing access to the email through my.rochester.edu gives you yet another way to get your email. And if you are already in Blackboard working on coursework, you have immediate access to your email as well.
There are links to a number of academic and campus services available on the Main tab. These links are customized based on the school affiliation, so students at Eastman see links specific to Eastman. Additionally, some links are available on the Activities tab.
Yes, you can go to the My Accounts tab and click on the Dining/URos tab to access your Dining and Meal Plan accounts. This will provide you with your balances and allow you to add money to your accounts using a credit card.
Yes, anyone can add money to your dining/meal plan by clicking on the Guest Deposit tab at the login page for http://my.rochester.edu. Once here, the person will need your first name, last name and your student id number in order to deposit money using a credit card into your account.
Yes. Access to the online bill presentation and payment system is available through my.rochester.edu. Click on the UR ePAY link on the Main tab. This system is managed independently. Questions about billing and payments should be directed to the Bursar's office.
The UR ePay link appears under the University of Rochester Links menu in the left column of the Main tab.
If you are not seeing this link, contact your Blackboard support team.
For any questions about UR ePay (other than the availability of the link) contact the Bursar's office at (585) 275-3931 or email@example.com. Or visit the Bursar's office web site at http://www.rochester.edu/adminfinance/bursar/epay.htm
No, parents do not have accounts in my.rochester.edu.
Parents can be set up to view and pay a student's tuition bill within the external system. This must be initiated and managed by the student. For information about this option, see the Bursar's office web site and review Authorized Payers.
If you think that you should be seeing a tab for Student Access and you don't, contact your Blackboard support team.
If you see the Student Access tab, but something is not working, or you have questions about the data you receive, contact the Registrar's Office at (585) 275-8131, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Main provides a dashboard into your courses and organizations, as well as quick links to various academic and campus services.
- Courses is used to provide access to any courses that a student is enrolled in and are made available with content.
- Student Access provides a portal to the Registrar's Access site for your registration history and grade information
- My Email provides a quick entry point into the URgmail account.
- My Accounts provides access to account information centers, as well as access to your OneCard account.
- Activities is a tab where we have provided both static and dynamic information from various local and campus activities.
- Libraries is a tab for quick access to the River Campus Library home page.