Frequently Asked Questions - Student Portal
- What is learn.rochester.edu?
- How do I get access?
- What is the student's username in learn.rochester.edu?
- Does it matter what operating system and browser I use to connect to learn.rochester.edu?
- What features are available in the portal?
- Why do some of my courses say they're "unavailable?"
- I just registered for a new course - why don't I see the link for it in Blackboard?
- I need to be added to a course as a student/TA. How do I do that?
- How can I see courses from a previous semester?
- Why am I not getting my instructor's emails?
- My email address is wrong in Blackboard. How can I fix it?
- Is there any information about Campus services and offices available?
- Can I add money to my meal plan?
- Can my parents add money to my meal plan?
- Can I pay my tuition bill through learn.rochester.edu?
- Why don't I see the link to UR ePay?
- I have questions about UR ePay (questions about my bill, setting up an Authorized Payer).
- Do parents have access to learn.rochester.edu?
- I should see a tab for Student Access in Blackboard and I don't. How can I get this fixed?
- I have questions about what I see on my Student Access tab.
Learn.rochester.edu is the University's student portal. It is based on a system called Blackboard.
Incoming students should have received an email when their account was created.
Student and faculty accounts are created automatically based on registration data. The system receives course listing and enrollments periodically. These automatically generate accounts for the instructors on record for courses, and the students enrolled in those courses. If you are not enrolled in courses, you may not automatically receive an account.
Staff receive accounts based on employment data. No email is sent for staff accounts.
Students will log in with their NetID
Yes. The software that runs learn.rochester.edu (Blackboard) is tested and certified (or compatible) only with certain browser versions on either Windows or MacOS. Check the Browser Compatibility document for details.
Currently students in the College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering will see the following “tabs”. Main, Courses, Course Planning, Student Access, Services, Activities, Libraries, and Help.
Students at the Warner Graduate School of Education see Main, Courses, Student Access, Services, Activities , Libraries, and Help.
Students at the Eastman School of Music see Main, Courses, Student Access, Services, Activities, and Help.
Students at the Simon School of business see Main, Courses, Student Access, Services, Activities, Libraries and Help.
For more explanation about tabs, see detail below.
The availability of courses in Blackboard is controlled by the instructor. Early in the semester, some instructors may still be building the content in their Blackboard courses, and may not make it available until they're ready. Also, there are instructors who do not use Blackboard, so their courses will not be made available.
The registrar's database (ISIS) and Blackboard do not have "real time" synchronization. Blackboard data is updated from ISIS three times a day Monday through Friday. If you've registered for a new course, first be sure that it shows up for you in Student Access. Once it does, it should show up as a Course link on your Blackboard Main tab within a few hours. If it shows up on the Main tab but says "Unavailable," it means that your instructor has not turned on the course yet. The instructor may not be ready to allow access to the course, or may not be using Blackboard.
The instructor of the course can add you. If the instructor does not know how to do this, there are instructions at http://www.rochester.edu/blackboard/manage_users.html, or they can contact Blackboard support. Please note that Blackboard support cannot add a student or TA to a course at the user's request. The request must be authorized by the instructor.
Access to courses other than current semesters can be found on the Courses tab. If the course has been made unavailable, you will need to contact the instructor of the course and ask that it be made available again.
First, check your junk mail folder. In many cases, emails coming from Blackboard seem to end up there.
Another possibility is that your email address is incorrect in Blackboard. To check, go to the Global Navigation link in the top right hand corner of Blackboard:
Click on Settings, then Personal Information/Edit Personal Information. Enter your preferred email address and click Submit.
Go to the Global Navigation in the top right hand banner of Blackboard. This is the pull-down menu where your name is located.
Click on Settings, then Personal Information, then Edit Personal Information. Enter your preferred email address and click Submit.
There are links to a number of academic and campus services available from the Services tab. These links are customized based on the school affiliation, so students at Eastman see links specific to Eastman. Additionally, some links are available on the Activities tab.
There are links to e-Accounts available from the Services tab, on the Accounts sub-tab.
Yes, there is a link to e-Accounts in the Guest Deposit module on the login page for https://learn.rochester.edu. The person will need your first name, last name and your student id number in order to deposit money using a credit card into your account.
Yes. Access to the online bill presentation and payment system is available through learn.rochester.edu. Click on the Services tab, then the Account sub-tab. You will see the UR ePAY link in the University of Rochester Bursar module. This system is managed independently. Questions about billing and payments should be directed to the Bursar's office.
The UR ePay link appears on the Account sub-tab of the Services tab after logging in.
If you are not seeing this link, contact your Blackboard support team.
For any questions about UR ePay (other than the availability of the link) contact the Bursar's office at (585) 275-3931 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit the Bursar's office web site at http://www.rochester.edu/adminfinance/bursar/epay.htm
No, parents do not have accounts in learn.rochester.edu.
Parents can be set up to view and pay a student's tuition bill within the external system. This must be initiated and managed by the student. For information about this option, see the Bursar's office web site and review Authorized Payers.
If you think that you should be seeing a tab for Student Access and you don't, contact your Blackboard support team.
If you see the Student Access tab, but something is not working, or you have questions about the data you receive, contact the Registrar's Office at (585) 275-8131, or email@example.com.
- Main provides a dashboard into your courses and organizations, as well as important announcements.
- Courses is used to provide access to any courses that a student is enrolled in and are made available with content.
- Student Access provides a portal to the Registrar's Access site for your registration history and grade information
- Services consists of a Home sub-tab with important University services, as well as an Academics sub-tab (academic services), Accounts (financial services) and Jobs.
- Activities is a tab where we have provided both static and dynamic information from various local and campus activities.
- Help tab with student tips for using Blackboard.