Internship Programs / Online Posting Service
University of Rochester students are strongly encouraged to gain in depth field experience in areas related to their academic concentrations as part of the career planning process. Internships are an easy, cost-effective way to fill short-term needs with potential long-term employees. You get to “test drive” employees that have the knowledge and skills you need, while students receive a unique form of education that blends classroom training with practical work experience. Students who participate in internships are better equipped to make career decisions. University of Rochester students may pursue internships solely for experience or may seek academic credit. Coordinating the credit is the responsibility of the student and is typically arranged through a sponsoring professor and the College Center for Advising Services.
To post an internship with the University of Rochester:
Handshake will allow you to not only post your positions and view candidates, but also to submit requests for on-campus interview dates, register for events and information sessions, and more!
To Login to Handshake:
- Login or create an employer account at https://rochester.joinhandshake.com If your email address is already in our system it will alert you, and you can reset your password through the “forgot password” link.
- If you are not already registered, simply create an account.
To Post an Internship:
- Start by selecting the ‘Jobs’ tab on the left side of the navigation bar. This will bring up the Job Postings page.
- Next select “New Job” in the upper right hand corner.
- Once you’ve arrived on the job form fill out the required fields, and select “Create Job” at the end of the form. We encourage you to fill out as many of the fields as possible to ensure the position shows up in as many searches as possible. Make sure it is marked as “Internship.”
- Next, Handshake will ask you to fill in the Job Qualifications to match it up with qualified students. Once you’re finished, hit “Update Qualifications.”
- This will bring you the to job summary page, where you can see all the information you just entered. The new job you created will now show up on the Job Postings page.
PLEASE NOTE: There is no cost to post your positions directly with us through Handshake.
Review the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division’s test for unpaid interns as well as the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) definition of an internship.
University of Rochester Career and Internship Center
4-200 Dewey Hall
Rochester, NY 14627
Fax: (585) 461-3093