How Can I Fund my Summer?
**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A NEW PROCESS THIS YEAR. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING VERY CLOSELY.**
Reach funds provide monetary support for undergraduates who obtain a summer internship to investigate career options, further develop skills and link classroom learning to the world of work. Reach Funds are available thanks to the generous gifts of University of Rochester friends and alumni who believe in the importance of experiential opportunities.
INTERNSHIPS: Reach funds provide monetary support for undergraduates who obtain a summer internship to investigate career options, further develop skills and link classroom learning to the world of work. Reach Funds are available thanks to the generous gifts of University of Rochester friends and alumni who believe in the importance of experiential opportunities.
RESEARCH: The Discover Grant program is aimed at increasing and enhancing undergraduate research opportunities for University of Rochester matriculated undergraduates. Paid through the department of Undergraduate Research – Contact Ann Robinson at email@example.com
PROGRAMS THAT INCLUDE A FEE to participate (i.e, study abroad, etc.) ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for FUNDING.
What is the Application Process for both programs?
- Conduct and secure an internship/research opportunity. Utilize staff and Peer Career Advisers in the Gwen M. Greene Career and Internship Center resource area to assist you. (Opportunity must be secured before applying for funding).
- Click the button below to apply for funding. Please note that INTERNSHIPS will be funded through reach and ALL RESEARCH will be funded through discover grants.
- Your application is NOT considered complete until you receive a screen saying “Your submission was saved successfully.” NOTE: You are only required to complete the pages of the application that come up on your screen!
What do you need prior to starting your application?
- Secured Internship/Research
- ACTIVE DIRECTORY login information – if you don’t know this, contact University IT at 585-275-2000: Option 1
- An updated copy of your resume
- A completed W9 (https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-W9)
- Please list your permanent home address
- Be sure to sign and date the document
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS – Please upload a blank W9 to your application as this form does not apply to you.
- If you have held an on-campus job in the past, you will need to know your employee id (Can be found in HRMS)
- Your estimated budget to make this experience possible this summer. You will be asked to include the following:
- Cost to arrive at internship location (if travelling away from home)
- Cost of daily travel to and from site
- Room & Board if applicable
- Cost of food if applicable
- Contact information for your on-site supervisor – supervisors will be contacted to confirm start and end dates of experience, hours working per week, budget submission.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MONDAY, APRIL 11, 2016. No late applications will be reviewed.
What is the Evaluation Process for INTERNSHIPS ONLY (NOT INCUDING RESEARCH)?
- Once submitted, applications are reviewed and students will be notified VIA EMAIL by April 25.
- Award amounts will be based on budget submitted. Award amounts will be either $1,000 or $2,500
- If awarded funding, payments will be made in 2 stipends sent directly from the University of Rochester accounts payable department – Please make sure YOUR MAILING ADDRESS IS CORRECT IN YOUR APPLICATION
- Payments will be made by the end of June and the end of August. All Reach recipients must be aware that appropriate taxes will be removed by the finance department upon processing.