Skip to main content

Advising Handbook

Study Abroad

The first step for students who plan to study abroad is to attend a study abroad general information meeting. Information meetings are held regularly throughout the semester and a DVD is available in 2-147 Dewey Hall.  The schedule of information meetings is available at the academic information counter outside Lattimore 312, and at the Center for Education Abroad in 2-147 Dewey Hall.  A study abroad handbook, “UR There,” published by the Center for Study Abroad, is updated annually and covers all programs in detail. It is available on their website or in 2-147 Dewey Hall. Juniors, first-semester seniors and selected sophomores may study abroad. Students returning from study abroad are expected to spend the following semester in residence at UR.

All students who plan to study abroad during the academic year file a proposal for review by the Study Abroad Committee. The deadline for spring study is September 15, and for fall or full-year, February 15. Proposal forms can be filled out on the website.

Study Abroad Status

Students going on UR programs register for SAB 301 and are charged UR tuition and room fees for the semester abroad. 

Students going on non-UR programs register for SAB 302 and are charged an administrative Study Abroad fee (see Program Costs and Fees).

Students may not go on inactive status and subsequently seek credit for a study abroad program.

Transfer Credit

The College has affiliations with a number of study abroad consortia and universities overseas. Programs sponsored by American colleges and universities (including UR programs) issue standard American-style transcripts, which show dates of attendance, course numbers and titles, credit hours and grades. These transcripts are evaluated in the same way as transfer credit from another American institution. Grades earned on UR programs appear on the UR transcript. Students who enroll directly for a year in a foreign university not affiliated with UR must have their programs of study approved by the Study Abroad Committee prior to departure. Upon return, all work done overseas is submitted for evaluation to that Committee. Overseas independent enrollment is not an option for students at institutions with which the College already has an affiliation. For example, there is an IES program at Dublin City University in Dublin, Ireland. If a student was interested in applying to Dublin City University, he/she must apply through UR and IES, not Dublin City University.

To ensure that course(s) taken elsewhere will transfer back to the UR, students must complete a Course Approval Form (available in Lattimore 312). Students should indicate the course(s) that they wish to receive credit for, and include a copy of the course descriptions. Most elective courses can usually be approved by an advisor in Education Abroad, but courses for a major or minor must be approved by the authorized faculty member in the appropriate department. Students should consult with an advisor in Education Abroad for assistance in completing the form. For more information, students may also refer to the Center for Education Abroad.

Financial Aid

Only students who go abroad on semester or academic year UR-affiliated programs may apply for continuation of aid. No UR aid is available for study on non-UR programs, and questions concerning the continuation of aid upon the student’s return to UR should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office in Wallis Hall.  (It is often possible, however, for students to ask the Financial Aid Office for help in filing consortium agreements, which may allow loans and some grants to apply to other schools’ programs.)  Students should also be aware that a small number of study abroad programs have their own financial aid or scholarships, and that the study abroad advisor can direct them to these programs.  Financial aid is not normally available for summer study abroad, although students planning foreign language programs may apply for Burton Awards through the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures.  All questions concerning financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office.

Application Deadlines

For most programs, deadlines begin around October 1 for spring study and March 1 for fall or full-year study. Students who intend to enroll directly in a foreign university must apply to the Study Abroad Committee by March 15 for the following year. All students planning to study abroad must file a “Proposal for Enrollment in a Study Abroad Program.” Available at the study abroad website, this is due by September 15 for spring programs and by February 15 for fall and full-year programs.

NOTE: All study abroad requires careful advance planning, especially if students intend to transfer courses to fulfill major and college requirements. Students should be advised to attend a group information meeting as soon as possible, read the Study Abroad Handbook, and make an appointment with a study abroad advisor in Dewey Hall 2-147. Study abroad is an option for Take Five students.