Applying for Graduate Study
Applicants to the Philosophy Graduate Program at the University of Rochester must:
- Submit the on-line application for graduate study.
There is a $60.00 application fee. In the personal statement (part of the application) please address these questions:
- Why do you want to pursue graduate study in philosophy?
- Why do you want to pursue that study at the University of Rochester?
- What areas of philosophy are you most interested in?
- Take the Graduate Record Examination no later than January of the academic year in which the application is submitted and have its scores reported to the Philosophy Department at the University of Rochester.
- TOEFL scores are required for non-native English speakers, except those educated at English-speaking institutions. The admissions committee will conduct Skype interviews with non-native English applicants prior to offers of admission, at its discretion.
- Submit the transcript called for in the on-line application. An official transcript will be required of admitted students before enrollment.
- Submit three confidential letters of recommendation (forms are available with the on-line application).
- Submit a sample of written work in philosophy. This sample should be uploaded to the Additional Documents section of the on-line application.
- Submit a list of all prior courses in philosophy. Use this as a cover sheet for your work sample and upload it as part of the sample. Use this form [Note: This is a Microsoft Word file; It may be edited with Microsoft word or any Word-compatible editor.]
The application deadline is January 15. Initial decisions are announced by April 1.