Rocxxy: Summer Internship in Feminist Activism and Leadership
Rocxxy is an 8-week summer program for undergraduate students coordinated by the Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women’s Studies at the University of Rochester. The program combines a professional internship experience with guest speakers, field trips to historic sites, and readings and reflections on feminist activism and leadership. This combination of academic, experiential, and professional experiences is meant to inspire and equip students to become stronger, more prepared leaders for social change.
A cohort of eight students (women and men) will work for 20-25 hours per week for the 8-week summer semester, May 19th-July 13th. Internships will be held at several Rochester nonprofits that offer services based on feminist activism and leadership. Students will meet multiple times per week to participate in a speaker series event or to go on a field trip to a historic site. Students will also meet to reflect on experiences. At the end of the summer, students will be required to submit a journal that reflects their overall experiences in the community and in the cohort. Students will receive housing on campus but will not receive credit or pay for the internship. Students will have the option of doing an independent study based on their internship in the following fall semester with a faculty member of their choosing.
2013 Internship sites included:
- Planned Parenthood of the Rochester/Syracuse Region – Department of Community Affairs
- The Genesee Valley Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union
- SAFER Campus (Students Active for Ending Rape)
- Girls Rock! Rochester Summer Camp
- The Susan B. Anthony Center for Women’s Leadership
2013 Historic field trips included:
- Seneca Falls, NY:
- Women’s Rights National Historic Park
- National Women’s Hall of Fame
- The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House
- The Women’s Interfaith Institute
- Rochester, NY:
- The Susan B. Anthony Museum and House
- Auburn, NY:
- The Harriet Tubman House
- Fayetteville, NY
- The Matilda Joslyn Gage House
2014 Applications Coming Soon!