Skip to main content

Faculty & Advisors

Proposing a Program

Rochester-led, short-term programs provide global experiences for a diverse group of students. These programs often serve students who might otherwise not have an opportunity to go abroad, and can provide an opportunity to earn credit.

All international study, work, and travel arranged by Rochester faculty or staff that involves students must receive approval from the Center for Education Abroad prior to operation. Such activities can range from a traditional study abroad program involving a group of students going abroad with a professor, to independent research or internships conducted abroad by one or more students arranged by a Rochester professor.

All programs must support college, departmental, and institutional goals. In addition, safety and security are primary concerns.

As you begin to plan your program abroad, consider the following:

  • What specific departmental and/or school needs will your program fill?
  • Who is your target audience (Rochester students, non-Rochester students, both others?)
  • Have you considered whether a customizable program offered through a third-party provider (such as IES, CIEE, and College Year in Athens) would be appropriate?

Programs may be as short as one week, or as long as 10 weeks. The average summer program is four weeks.

Here are some of our current short-term program offerings:

If you are proposing a new program, your first steps are to meet with your department chair to discuss your program and course details, and to meet with the coordinator for faculty-led programs in the Center for Education Abroad. This should be done 12 to 15 months in advance of the expected program start date.

To access the procedures and documents related to creating and leading programs abroad, you will create a record in the Education Abroad Portal. Before doing this, you will meet with the coordinator for faculty-led programs who will provide you with an overview of the process.

You can contact Theodore Pagano ( or Heidi Kozireski ( at (585) 275-7532. They will provide you with an overview of the process, help you gain access to the portal, and answer any other questions you may have.

Booking Group Flights

University of Rochester has partnered with STA Travel to offer discounted flights to our students.

To book a group flight for your program, call 800.781.4040 or email To access STA's student fares, please be sure to mention that you are a University of Rochester faculty member when booking. Additionally, you may take advantage of STA Travel's Exclusive Airfare Deposit Program, in which you can lock in your flight with multiple deposit options.

STA Travel Help is available 24/7/365 to assist in emergency situations for all bookings made via STA travel. Available via live chat or phone/Skype at 800.836.4115.

Travel Review

Before a program can be approved, all travel to high-risk destinations must be submitted to the Travel Review Subcommittee for review and approval. For more information on travel review and what is considered a high-risk destination, visit the Travel Reviews, Approvals, and Restrictions page.