The business minor is available to undergraduate students within Arts, Sciences and Engineering and is offered by the Simon Business School.
The minor aims to build core business skills. To pursue a business minor, you must first complete both prerequisites listed below. The minor consists of five courses, including three required core courses and two electives.
Students using the business minor to fulfill the social sciences distribution area requirement MUST chose both of their minor electives from the list of social sciences courses.
If you have questions about the minor requirements please contact us to schedule an appointment or visit during walk-in hours.
ECO 108: Principles of Economics (F/S)*
Plus one of the following:
- ECO 230: Economic Statistics
- STT 213/MTH 203: Elements of Probability and Math Statistics
- STT 211: Applied Statistics for Social Sciences I
- STT 212: Applied Statistics for the Biological and Physical Sciences I
- STT 216: Applied Statistics II
- PSY/CSP 211: Introduction to Statistical Methods in Psychology
- PSC 200: Applied Data Analysis
- PSC 201: Political Inquiry
- CSC 262: Computational Intro to Statistics
*ECO 207: Intermediate Microeconomics may substitute for ECO 108.
ACC 201: Financial Accounting (F/S)
MKT 203: Principles of Marketing (F/S)
FIN 204: Principles of Finance (F/S)*
Electives (choose 2):
Social Sciences electives
- ECO 209: Intermediate Macroeconomics (F/S)
- ECO 211: Money Credit and Banking (S)
- ECO 217: Economics of Contracts, Organizations and Markets (F)
- ECO 251: Industrial Organization (S)
- ECO 268: Economics of Globalization (F)
- ECO 394: Internship
- CSP/PSY 264: Industrial and Organizational Psychology (S)
- PSC 238: Business and Politics (F)
- PSC 244K: Politics and Markets (F)
- FIN 206: Investments (S)
- FIN 213: Corporate Finance (F)
- FIN 233: Mergers and Acquisitions (F)
- FIN 241: Real Estate Principles (S)
- FIN 242: International Finance (F)
- MKT 212: Marketing Research and Analytics (F)
- MKT 213: Marketing Projects and Cases (F/S)
- MKT 233: Advertising and Social Media (S)
- MKT 235: Product and Brand Strategy (F)
- STR 203/ECO 214: Economic Theory of Organization (F/S)
- STR 241/ECO 241: Pricing Strategy (F)
Non-Social Sciences electives
- MTH 208: Operations Research (F)
- ACC 221: Managerial Accounting (S)
- ACC 222: Financial Statement Analysis (S)
- ACC 224: Intermediate Accounting I (F)
- ACC 225: Intermediate Accounting II (S)
- CIS 191: Introduction to Programming for Business Analytics (F)
- ENT 223K: Entrepreneurship to Plan and Grow a Business (F/S)
- ENT 225K: Technical Entrepreneurship (S)
- ENT 227K: Fundamentals of Social Entrepreneurship (S)
- GBA 211: Business Modeling with Excel (S)
- GBA 220: Business information Systems (F/S)
- GBA 221: Operations and Strategy (F/S)
- GBA 241: Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility (S)
- LAW 205: Business Law (F/S)
- OMG 201: Operations and Technology Management (no longer offered)
*FIN 205 may substitute.
College rules on overlap apply:
- No more than two courses may overlap between the five required courses comprising the business minor and any major or second minor.
- No more than one course may overlap between the business minor and a cluster.
- Prerequisite courses do not count as overlaps since they are not part of the minor itself.