Disability Resources

Current Students

Getting Started

Current students are encouraged to meet with an access coordinator early in the semester to become acquainted and talk about classroom accommodations. However, requests to discuss accommodations are welcome at any time. To schedule an appointment, visit our office in Dewey Hall, Room 1-154 or email your completed Student Information Form to CETL Disability Resources and our staff will arrange a meeting with the appropriate access coordinator.

Students may wish to submit professionally prepared documentation in advance. However, students need not have documentation in hand to consult with an access coordinator.

Quick Links Forms General Resources
Test Accommodation System    Open with Adobe Reader        Campus Accessibility Map
Accessible Textbook Request Letter to Faculty Form Housing & Dining Accommodations
UR Box Student Information Form  

Parking & Transportation Assistance

Report an Accessibility Concern
Service & Assistance Animal Policy

Supporting Documentation

Upon disclosing the existence of a disability, students will be asked to forward supporting documentation to the local access coordinator. Detailed University-wide guidelines for documenting a disability, procedures, and policies are found at: www.rochester.edu/disability/

Students enrolled in the School of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering should submit documentation of a disability to:

CETL Disability Resources
University of Rochester
1-154 Dewey Hall
P.O. Box 270359
Rochester, NY 14627-0359

Fax: (585) 273-1116                  

Email: disability@rochester.edu

Arrangements for Accommodations

Using the interactive process, a collaborative process between the access coordinator and the student, our access coordinators consider a wide variety of factors when determining reasonable accommodations, including the:

Students who are approved for accommodations should meet with their access coordinator to fill out the Letter to Faculty form and generate a letter informing instructors of their approved accommodations.

CETL Disability Resources offers a variety of accommodations for undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities in Arts, Sciences and Engineering. These accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

A student with a documented need for accommodations which necessitates registering for less than a normal load each semester should discuss the protocol with their assigned access coordinator at CETL Disability Resources. It may be useful to view the advising note found here: http://www.rochester.edu/college/CCAS/AdviserHandbook/Disabilities.html

Non-Academic Accommodations

See the non-academic accommodations for information on how to submit housing, dining, and transportation accommodation requests.


Buildings must be accessible to persons with physical disabilities. Websites and course materials must be accessible to students with hearing or visual impairments. If you encounter a situation where we can provide help or suggest improvements, please contact us.

You can also report accessibility concerns online on the University’s equal opportunity website or by contacting Lynnett Van Slyke, the disability compliance director, at (585) 275-1925 or l.vanslyke@rochester.edu.


Supporting documentation regarding the existence and the nature of a student's disability is generally considered private. Accordingly, without written consent from the student, information contained in the disability file is kept confidential to the maximum extent possible. Disability-related information will also be kept separate from the student's academic record.

Access to a student's disability file is limited to the local access coordinator, the University disability resource coordinator, and other University officials who require access to the information to perform their professional responsibilities, or who need access to protect the health or safety of the student or others.

Appealing Accommodation Decisions

The University provides both informal and formal processes to appeal accommodation decisions. Students are encouraged to first pursue an informal resolution with their access coordinator. However, the informal process need not be pursued prior to filing a formal grievance. Information about grievance procedures can be found on the disability policy page.