Financial Aid

How to Apply for Federal Aid

To qualify for federal student loans, a student must be:

  • matriculated
  • enrolled in a degree-granting program
  • enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours per term)
  • U.S. citizen or permanent resident

All graduate students applying for federal loans must complete the FAFSA online at Our federal school code is 002894. Students applying for alternative loans should apply directly with the lender of their choice.

Application Deadlines

Use the information below to determine the required deadline for your application materials based on when you will be starting your program at the University of Rochester. You’ll need to file a 2014-2015 FAFSA if you enter during any of the following terms:

  • Fall 2014 term: May 1, 2014
  • Winter 2015 term (Simon School Only): November 1, 2014
  • Spring 2015 term: December 1, 2014
  • Summer 2015 term: February 1, 2015

If you are starting in one of the following terms, you’ll need to complete a 2015-2016 FAFSA, which is available after January 1, 2015:

  • Fall 2015 term: May 1, 2015
  • Winter 2016 term (Simon School Only): November 1, 2015
  • Spring 2016 term: December 1, 2015
  • Summer 2016 term: February 1, 2016

If you apply after the start of a term, please allow up to 2-4 weeks for processing of your application to determine your eligibility for aid. Keep in mind that there is additional processing time needed to set up loans for first time borrowers through the federal government. It’s recommended that you apply for aid well before you will actually need the loan funding to ensure that the Financial Aid Office has enough time to process your application.

Keep in Mind

It is important to pay attention to the academic year dates when applying for federal or alternative loans. For financial aid purposes, an academic year starts in the fall semester/quarter and extends through the summer of the following year. Depending on when you will be enrolling in your program, multiple applications may be required.

For example, if you start a program in the summer term, you will need to complete 2 FAFSAs, as your enrollment will cross two academic years. You’ll need to complete one FAFSA for the summer term, the end of one academic year, and one FAFSA for the fall term, the beginning of a new academic year. This process applies to both federal aid and alternative loan applications.