Research Grants for Faculty Associates
The Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies offers grants to support research in gender and women's studies by faculty Associates of the Institute. The Grants Committee's policy traditionally has been to award money to as many eligible applicants as possible. Typical grant amounts range from $100 – $1000 however we will consider larger requests. Proposals may be for such items as publication subventions, research materials, travel for research, and travel to professional conferences in cases where the applicant is on the program; research grant funding may not be used to pay for participant incentives. Grant recipients are encouraged to present their material in SBAI seminars and conferences. We ask that you acknowledge the support in publications.
When completing your grant application, we encourage you to keep the following in mind:
- People from a variety of disciplines are on the Research Grants Committee. Please make clear how your subject matter is centrally related to gender and/or women's studies in a way that is comprehensible to people far outside your field.
- It is incumbent upon you to create a case for relevance and to convey precisely how your research contributes to the field. We will only support work that advances an understanding of gender and/or women’s studies.
- Research on female subjects does not automatically qualify.
- Among Faculty, only SBAI Associates (not Affiliates) are eligible for Research Grant funds.
- Receipts and expenses MUST be presented for reimbursement within 45 days of travel or purchase. This allows us two weeks for adequate processing time. Expenses presented after 60 days will NOT be reimbursable as per the University’s policy in accordance with IRS reporting guidelines.
To apply for a Research Grant, please go to our online Research Grant Application form and submit when complete.
Applications are due in October, February and April of each year. Refer to the online calendar for exact dates. Research grants may be either for research undertaken this academic year or for research planned for the following summer. Receipts should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than one month after expenses occur..