Program Description: Summer Program
The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program at the University of Rochester encourages talented students to pursue the doctoral degree. Established and funded by the United States Department of Education and named in honor of Challenger astronaut and laser physicist, Dr. Ronald E. McNair, the program provides participants with a mentored research experience, seminars and workshops on topics germane to the pursuit of the doctoral degree, and opportunities to meet with role models who have obtained the terminal degree.
During the months of June and July, participants live on the UR campus, work with a faculty member on a research project in their major field, prepare for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and complete a course entitled “The Culture of the Academy,” which includes a series of assignments that will assist in the graduate school application process.
Student Responsibilities Include:
- Research 40 hours per week
- Attend all required courses and meetings
- Design and complete a research project during the summer program
- Making formal presentations of research at local and national conferences
- Preparing for and taking the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applying to at least five Ph.D. programs during the final year of undergraduate study
To be Eligible, An Applicant Must Meet All of the Following Criteria:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher (a GPA of at least 3.0 in major field is preferred, but not required)
- Be a sophomore or a junior
- Be committed to pursuing the Ph.D (not an MD, JD, or other graduate degree)
- Be one of the following: low income (according to federal guidelines) AND a first-generation college student OR a member of a group underrepresented in
graduate study at the doctoral level (African American, Native American, Hispanic)
Program Benefits Include:
- Room and board on the University of Rochester campus
- $3600 stipend for the summer
- Round trip travel allowance (from permanent residence to the University of Rochester)
- Opportunity to travel to local and national conferences to present research
- GRE fee reimbursement
- Application fee waivers and some fellowship opportunities for doctoral programs across the country
- Complete the below application completely.
- If possible, it is preferred that attachments are submitted through Google Drive. Create a folder called "McNair Summer Application" and then paste the link to this folder in the application below. Right click on the folder and click “share.” Under "who has access" change the permissions to "Anyone who has the link can view" and then copy and paste the link.
If you are not able to submit attachments in this manner, please send them in a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Required Attachments
- A photocopy of the federal income tax documentation (form 1040, pages 1 & 2) for the person who claims you as a dependent. You can view the specific pages we need here.
- A copy of your financial aid award
- Your resume/Curriculm Vitae
- You must submit two letters of recommendation from faculty members who can speak to your abilities as a student and potential researcher. All recommendations must be emailed by the professor/recommendor to email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Friday February 14, 2014 at 5:00pm EST.