Office of the Dean of Students
Event Registration Process
Purpose: The Event Registration Process helps student organizations plan safe and organized activities. It helps students request services and create successful events.
- Event Registration Form
- Security Services Event Planning Guide
- Supplemental Security Fund Information
- Supplemental Security Fund Request Form
- 21 and Over Event Guide
- Formal Event Guide
- Standards of Student Conduct
Do I need to register my event?
You will need to register your event if it fits any of the following criteria:
- Any on campus event at which attendance will exceed 100 people.
- Any on campus event that requires significant University resources, (e.g., services supplied by Facilities, Event Support, University Security Services). For example, concerts, speakers, etc.
- If registration is required by the Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy Please see Standards of Student Conduct for more information. **Please note bar parties must be registered through the bar bus process.
- All on or off-campus events/functions that involve
alcohol and meet one of the three criteria below must be registered
through the event registration process or event notification form:
- More than 75 people are expected to be present at any one time, OR
- Use of a common container of alcohol or distilled spirits by a licensed third party vendor is requested. (Use of common containers of alcohol or distilled spirits, other than that by a licensed third party vendor, is prohibited at all events/functions.) OR
- The event is organized by University of Rochester students and is advertised or promoted to University of Rochester students in any manner, including advertisement and/or promotion through online social networks.
- All on or off-campus events/functions that involve alcohol and meet one of the three criteria below must be registered through the event registration process or event notification form:
- Any on campus event at which money will be collected at the event.
- Any on campus conference hosted by a student group.
- Any on campus event at which more than 20% of the audience and/or participants is expected to be non-U of R community members (conferences included).
- Any on campus event that involves working with a non-U of R organization, such as co-sponsors or guests.
How do I register my event?
- Download the Event Registration Form (located in Document Library on the right side of this page) and schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss your plans. If your organization is planning to serve alcohol at the event you also need to review the Events with Alcohol Packet (located in Document Library) and sign the Event Agreement Form for events with alcohol at the end of the packet.
- If your event planning is on track-at the conclusion of this meeting your advisor will preliminarily approve of the event.
After meeting with your advisor:
- Contact the various offices at the University that you will need to support the event (Event Support, Security, Facilities, etc.) to obtain their approval and signature. In some circumstances this may be done via e-mail.
After obtaining necessary signatures
- Meet with your advisor and go over the finalized form(s) with all signatures and approvals. If the form is complete your advisor will sign the finalized document and the event is officially approved. Students will be given a copy of the document for posting at the event location and ODOS staff will send a copy of the signed form to all necessary offices (Security, Facilities, etc.)
At least 2 business days before the event:
- If having an event with alcohol-pick up social host arm bands, attendance clickers
- If Security Officers are assigned to your event check in with University Security to discuss details of event
When do I need to begin to register my event?
MORE TIME IS NEEDED IF...
- If your event requires assistance from Facilities or Event Support OR
- If your event will have more than 150 people OR
- If you plan to serve food w/o an approved caterer
LESS TIME IS NEEDED IF...
- If you do not need assistance from offices on campus.
|Fill out the Event Registration Form and have a meeting with my advisor?||18 business days||10 business days|
|Contact the various offices (Security, Event Support, Facilities, etc.) supporting my event, getting signed approval from each office?||14 business days||5 business days|
|Meet with my advisor for final approval?||10 business days||5 business days|
|Meet with Security to finalize event details (if necessary)?||2 business days||2 business days|
|Obtain Social Host Arm Bands & Attendance Clickers (If alcohol is being served)||2 business days||2 business days|
Have questions about how to register your event? Contact your group advisor (the staff member from WCSA, FSA, RCCL, Residential Life or the Chapel who works with your group).