Bus and Transportation Requests
About Bus Charters
In spring 2008 a committee was convened by the Dean of Students to address the growing concerns related to student organizations providing bus transportation to local bars in the Rochester community.
Prior to the implementation of this policy, numerous risk management issues had surfaced including intoxicated students becoming unruly at bus stops, vomiting on the buses, and needing medical assistance upon arrival back to campus. Unruly behavior on the bus was becoming increasingly problematic, and a serious incident prompted the immediate suspension of these bar nights and creation of the Bar Night Review Committee.
The Off-Campus Events—Bar Bus Policy was created by that committee, which consisted of staff and students. The policy was developed after careful benchmarking and review and was designed for student groups to have safe and successful off-campus bar night events.
Student groups may charter bus service to off-campus events through the Office of the Dean of Students. For events at locations whose primary purpose is to serve alcohol, student groups must obtain approval from the Bar Night Review Committee prior to completing any transportation forms.
Forms and Policies
- Event Registration Form
- Event Responsibility Agreement
- Restricted Bar Night Request Form
- Unrestricted Bar Night Request Form
- Bar Event Contract
- Bus Services Request Form
- Group Evaluation Form
Transportation Request Guideline
To ensure a safe and successful event, you should begin planning at least one month before your proposed event date. Complete the following steps to obtain approval for your event:
- Familiarize yourself with the Off-Campus Events—Bar Bus Policy and the tips sheet entitled How to Plan a Successful Bar Party. These documents will help you understand the guidelines and complete the necessary paperwork.
- Determine whether your event will be an Unrestricted Bar Night or a Restricted Bar Night. The definition of these events can be found in the Off-Campus Events—Bar Bus Policy. Your advisor can also help you determine which type of event you are proposing.
- At least two weeks before your proposed event, complete either the Restricted Bar Night Request Form or the Unrestricted Bar Night Request Form. Print the form and bring it to your organization's advisor to discuss the event and obtain his or her signature. You must submit the completed form to 510 Wilson Commons.
- After receiving approval from the Bar Night Review Committee, complete the Bar Event Contract with the hosting location and complete the Bus Services Request Form. Bring both forms to your advisor for his or her signature.
- At least seven business days before your event, bring your completed Bus Services Request Form, with your advisor's signature, to Beverly Buscemi in the Ruth Merrill Center. You will receive a charter confirmation with details about your bus request and pricing.
- On the day of your event, follow through with all provisions mandated by the Bar Night Review Committee. Have a safe event!
- No later than 3 days after your event, complete the Group Evaluation Form and submit to 510 Wilson Commons.
If you have additional questions, please contact your advisor in the Office of the Dean of Students or call (585) 275-4085.