Title: ProfessorProfessor in Philosophy
Chair of the Department
Education: PhD, University of Pittsburgh
532 Lattimore Hall
Department of Philosophy
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0078
Phone: (585) 275-8112
Office Hours: Tuesday 1:00p-2:00p.
Ethics, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Education, History of Philosophy
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- PHL 230/430 Environmental Justice
- Aristotle on the Necessity of Public Education (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2000).
- (Editor) A Companion to the Philosophy of Education (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2003; 2006; Shanghai: East China Normal UP, 2011, Simplified Character Chinese Edition, transl. Peng Zhengmei).
- Education for Sustainable Development: A Philosophical Assessment (London: PESGB, Impact Series, 2009). Republished on-line: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/imp.2009.2009.issue-18/issuetoc .
- "The Contribution of Nicomachean Ethics iii 5 to Aristotle's Theory of Responsibility," History of Philosophy Quarterly 6, no. 3 (July 1989), pp. 261-277
- "Punishment and Inclusion," The Canadian Journal of Law and Jurisprudence 8, no. 2 (July 1995), pp. 259-274. Reprinted in Stephen Griffin and Robert Moffat, eds., Radical Critiques of the Law (Lawrence KS: University Press of Kansas, 1997), pp. 273-292.
- "Moral Education and Juvenile Crime," in Stephen Macedo and Yale Tamir, eds. Nomos XLIII: Moral and Political Education (New York, NYU Press, 2002), pp. 359-80.
- “Aristotle’s Educational Politics and the Aristotelian Renaissance in Philosophy of Education,” Oxford Review of Education 36, no. 5 (Oct. 2010), pp. 543-559.
- “The Prima Facie Case against Homeschooling,” (Randall Curren & J.C. Blokhuis), Public Affairs Quarterly 15, no. 1 (Jan. 2011): 1-19.
- “What Humans Need: Flourishing in Aristotelian Philosophy and Self-Determination Theory,” (Richard M. Ryan, Randall R. Curren, and Edward L. Deci), in Alan S. Waterman, ed., The Best Within Us (Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2012).
- “Defining Sustainability Ethics,” in Michael Boylan, ed., Environmental Ethics, 2nd ed. (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2012).