How to Declare a Major in Arts and Sciences
- Use the online major declaration form available at www.rochester.edu/registrar/formrequests.html or make an appointment with an authorized faculty adviser (often called the Undergraduate Adviser) in the appropriate department if you are using a paper copy of the form. Take the blue concentration form, together with a copy of your academic record from Access and a list of courses you intend to take, to your meeting with the adviser. (These faculty members are listed on the "Authorized Signatures" list.)
- If you are using the paper copy of the major declaration form, you will bring the completed blue form to 312 Lattimore Hall. You will be given one copy for your records, one copy will be sent to your department, and one copy will be retained in your official file in Advising Services. If you are using the online major declaration form, Lattimore 312 will receive a copy of the form, once it has been approved by the department. Be sure to check your email to confirm that the form was received and approved.
- You will also discuss with the adviser how you will fulfill the upper-level writing requirement as part of your major.
- The authorized faculty member must sign the form, and you should be assigned a faculty adviser in your major.
- You will then need to complete part B, "Primary Writing Requirement".
- Now it is time to complete part C: "Rochester Curriculum Registration," following the guidelines on the back of the form. The term "Rochester Curriculum" refers to the combination of your major in one of the three divisions (humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences, including mathematics and engineering) and your clusters in each of the other two divisions, with an average grade of C or better. See How To Declare Clusters for more details.
- Take the completed blue form to 312 Lattimore Hall. You will be given one copy for your records, one copy will be sent to your department, and one copy will be retained in your official file in Advising Services.
- Note that subsequent changes to part A should be discussed with your faculty adviser and may require submission of a new blue form or a revision form. Changes to part C do not need faculty approval, but should be submitted on the pink "Cluster Change Form" available in 312 Lattimore.
If you have further questions about declaring your major and clusters, please check with:
The College Center for Advising Services
312 Lattimore Hall