Skip to main content



Academic Advising

The College Center for Advising Services is the single best place for undergraduates to visit with any academic-related question or concern. Advisors are available for appointments, Monday through Friday. Students who need to see an academic advisor for help in choosing their courses are encouraged to do so before the start of classes.

Adding, Dropping, or Withdrawing from Classes

Dropping a Course

Courses dropped before the add/drop deadline will be deleted entirely from the official record. After the add/drop deadline, courses will appear on the official records noted with a “W.” After the withdraw deadline, students must take the grade given.

Matriculated Students: To drop a course, fill out an official Drop/Add form and submit it to The date the form is submitted is the effective date of the registration change.

Non-Matriculated Students: To drop a course, fill out an official Drop/Add form and submit it to The date the form is submitted is the effective date of the registration change.


Official withdrawal from a course is the responsibility of the student, who must file a withdrawal request through the Drop/Add form, as noted above.

Instructors: Telephone calls or emails to offices on campus, or failure to attend classes are NOT considered official notice of intent to withdraw. The official date of withdrawal determines the amount of tuition refunded.

Adding a Course

You can add a course online up to the add/drop deadline for each summer session.

Adding a course after the deadline requires a petition for an exception to The College policy. Petition forms are available online, and should be submitted to the Office of Summer and Continuing Studies at for review.


Courses offered during the summer are typically four credits each. Some courses have a corresponding one-credit lab. Current University of Rochester undergraduates can count summer session courses toward their degree. Visiting students should check with their home institution to make sure that the credits will transfer.

Students can enroll in up to 12.99 credits for the entire summer term. Students wishing to enroll in more than 12.99 credits will need to complete an overload request by filling out a Drop/Add form with the total number of credits they wish to take, and submitting it to for approval.

No more than six courses (24 credits) can be transferred to a College degree program by students whose first experience at the University of Rochester is as a non-matriculated student.

Grades and Transcripts

All students are able to view and print their grades through Student UR ACCESS Plus! using their NetID and password. Official transcripts requested online using your UR ID and PIN. Learn more about requesting transcripts on the Registrar's website

The satisfactory/fail option is not available to students taking summer courses.

Learning Assistance Services and Services for Students with Disabilities

Any student who wants help improving his or her academic performance is invited to use the University’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) and Disability Resources. During the summer, CETL offers study skills counseling and academic support for students. Disability Resources assists with academic accommodations and support for students with disabilities.

These services are available on an individual appointment basis with no charge to students.


The Barnes and Noble Bookstore on the River Campus, located on the corner of Elmwood Avenue and Mt. Hope Avenue in College Town, sells textbooks and materials for your classes. For more information, including hours of operation and online ordering options, please visit their website.

University Rights and Policies

For information on policies and students’ rights, please visit the Registrar’s website.