Art History, City University of New York, 1994
Fanny Knapp Allen Professor of Art History and Professor of Visual and Cultural Studies
518 Morey Hall
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627
In residence fall semesters only.
- Contemporary art
- criticism and theory
- dance and dance film
- Dance/Film, in progress.
- Before Pictures, in progress.
- “Our Kind of Movie”: The Films of Andy Warhol, Cambridge, MIT Press, 2012.
- Melancholia and Moralism: Essays on AIDS and Queer Politics, Cambridge, MIT Press, 2002.
- On the Museum’s Ruins, Cambridge, MIT Press, 1993 (Getty Publication Grant).
- AIDS Demo Graphics (with Adam Rolston), Seattle, Bay Press, 1990 (nominated for Lambda Book Award).
- AIDS: Cultural Analysis/Cultural Activism (editor), Cambridge, MIT Press, 1988 (Excellence in publishing Honorable Mention, Association of American Publishers Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division; Special Recognition, Words Project for AIDS).
- Mixed Use, Manhattan: Photography and Related Practices, 1970 to the Present (with Lynne Cook), Madrid, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, and Cambridge, MIT Press, 2010; see interview at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyzmng2Mh44
- Pictures, New York, Artists Space, 1977.
Articles in Journals and Anthologies
- “You Can Still See Her: The Art of Trisha Brown,” Artforum, January 2011.
- “Dancers, Artworks, and People in the Galleries,” Artforum, October 2008.
- “Yvonne Rainer, Muciz Lover,” Grey Room 22, Winter 2006.
- “Getting the Warhol We Deserve,” Social Text 59, Summer 1999.
- “Mourning and Militancy,” October, Winter 1989.
- “Pictures,” October, Spring 1979.
- Mathias Danbolt, “Front Room—Back Room: An Interview with Douglas Crimp,” Trikster, http://www.trikster.net/2/crimp/1.html
- Tina Takemoto, “The Melancholy of AIDS: Interview with Douglas Crimp,” Art Journal 62, no. 4, Winter 2003; Japanese translation in InterCommunication (Tokyo) 51, Winter 2005.
Graduate Courses Taught
- AH 513 Architecture, Photography, Modern/Postmodern
- AH 550 Topics in Contemporary Art & Criticism: Warhol
- AH 511 Art, Dance, and Film
- AH 481 Art and the City
- AH 484 Modern Architecture and Urbanism: L.A. Modern
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- AH 281 Art and the City
- AH 284 Modern Architecture and Urbanism: L.A. Modern
- AH 311 Art, Dance, and Film
- AH 313 Architecture, Photography, Modern/Postmodern
- AH 350 Topics in Contemporary Art & Criticism: Warhol
- Creative Capital/Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant, 2011
- Sixteenth Annual David R. Kessler honoree, Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, Graduate Center, City University of New York, 2007
- Rockefeller Foundation Humanities Fellowship, Program for the Study of Sexuality, Gender, Health, and Human Rights, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 2000
- Frank Jewett Mather Award for Distinction in Art Criticism, College Art Association, 1988
- Art Critics Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 1984
- Art Critics Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 1973
- Editor, October, 1986-90; Executive Editor, 1983‑86; Managing Editor, 1977-1983
- Guest Curator, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, 2009-2010
- Guest Curator, Artists Space, New York, 1977
- Advisory Board, Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies, City University of New York
- Advisory Board, Criticism: A Quarterly for Literature and the Arts
- Advisory Board, InVisible Culture, University of Rochester