- contemporary art
- East Asian visual culture
“Images of Reality/Ideals of Democracy: South Korean Contemporary Art, 1980-2010”
Publications and Presentations
- “Seung Woo Back’s Blow Up (2005): Touristic Fantasy, Photography of Ethics, and Catastrophic North Korea,” in Korean Popular Culture Reader (Duke University Press, Durham, 2014), 385-406.
- “Being Political Popular” in Being Political Popular: South Korean Art at the Intersection of Popular Culture and Democracy, 1980-2010 (Seoul: Hyunsil Publishing; Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2012), 10-157.
- “Review of Contemporary Asian Art: A Critical Reader (MIT Press, 2010)” in Art Journal (College Art Association, April, 2012), 156-8.
- “Curatorial Statement for Seven Videos: The Metaphor of ‘Flying and Falling’ in Contemporary East Asia and Visual Arts” in InVisible Culture 15, special issue “Spectacle East Asia” (Fall, 2010), 125-145.
Fellowships, Grants and Awards
- Korea Foundation Graduate Fellowship
- SSRC International Dissertation Research Fellowship
- Arts Council Korea
- Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women Studies
- Association for Asian Studies Northeast Asia Council
- Guest curator of Public Commotions: 1998-2012, The Archive of 17 Social Art Projects (Art Space Pool, Seoul, Korea, 2013)
- Curator of Being Political Popular (UC Irvine Art Gallery, 2012)
- Teaching fellow (University of Rochester, 2012)
- Visiting Scholar (Lingnan University, 2010)