Helium and Balloons
Helium balloons are an eye catching tool which can add a nice touch to almost any event. Depending on the quantity and style, balloons can give your event a festive, welcoming, or even elegant feel.
There are three ways to acquire helium and balloons for your event:
- Hire a company like Balloon Effects International (442-0361) to decorate your event.
- Rent a helium tank and regulator from Dane’s Welding (265-4427) who delivers. You can purchase balloons and blow them up yourself.
- Purchase a disposable tank from Party City (424-5555), purchase balloons, blow them up yourself, and contact Dave Butterbaugh at x3-5501 to dispose of the tank when you are finished. Note: For smaller events, you will need less than 50 balloons.
The first option is more expensive, but involves little student volunteer effort. The second and third ways are much more affordable, but does require advance preparation with the balloons, volunteers to blow up balloons, arrange them, and return the helium tank to the vendor (or dispose the tank). You need to decide if you have more time or money to spend on this venture.
Safety Requirements for operating a Helium Tank
UR Risk Management policies require helium tanks to be secured in the proper way while on University property. Wilson Commons Student Activities has made arrangements to provide you with the necessary equipment and storage of helium.
Please follow these steps in order to ensure safety of yourself and others:
- After you have ordered a helium tank, please contact Wilson Commons Student Activities to inform the staff of the anticipated delivery date.
- When helium tanks are delivered to Wilson Commons, they must immediately be secured with chains and a padlock to a special helium tank cart at all times. When not in use, these tanks must be stored in room 304. You can gain access to this room through the Wilson Commons Student Activities staff or the evening/weekend building manager. If you have ordered a tank through Dane’s Welding or another vendor who delivers, please direct them to Wilson Commons Student Activities at 201 Wilson Commons and a staff member will give them access to room 304.
- When you are ready to blow up balloons, please contact the manager on duty in Wilson Commons in order to gain access to room 304.
- Do not move the cart and tank. The manager will assist you in transporting them to the Ruth Merrill Center.
- Once the equipment has been moved, remove the safety cap and attach the regulator/nozzle. You must blow up the balloons Ruth Merrill Center.
- When you are finished with the cart and tank, the manager will assist you in transporting them back to room 304.