Wilson Commons Policies
To load and unload supplies for events in Wilson Commons, the designated location is the Douglass Commons lower loading dock off of Library Road. Please put on your hazard lights while at the dock.
Vehicles cannot remain at the loading dock during events.
To borrow the red cart, you must:
- Be a member of a registered student organization or a University staff member.
- Use the red cart for the purposes of that organization.
- Leave your ID card and phone number with the Common Connection.
- Return the cart within three hours unless prior arrangements have been made.
If the cart is returned damaged, a fee may be assessed. If the cart is not returned, there is a $300 replacement cost.
While we make every effort to accommodate requests, the cart is non-reservable and is instead available on a first-come, first-served basis. There are certain times where the cart may not be available for use.
If you have any questions regarding these policies, please contact the Director of Wilson Commons.
There are four pianos located throughout Wilson Commons, with one each in the following rooms:
- Gowen Room
- May Room
- Havens Lounge
- Wilson Commons 503
The Gowen Room, May Room, and Havens Lounge pianos can be used if the room is not reserved for an event or meeting. The pianos cannot be used while Event and Classroom Management is setting up for an event. No drinks are allowed on the pianos. If there is an issue with a piano, please report it to the Common Connection.
To reserve the third floor lounge chalkboard in Wilson Commons, please submit a request using the Promotional Opportunities Form at least five business days prior to the start of the requested reservation date. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis. An email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request either approving or denying the request depending on if it can be accommodated. Please be aware that organizations are not guaranteed use of the chalkboard.
The third floor lounge chalkboard is exclusively available to Student Organizations and University departments recognized by Wilson Commons Student Activities (WCSA). Chalking by unrecognized Student Organizations or outside entities will be erased. The chalkboard is reserved in one-week time slots.
Approved organizations must use chalk provided by WCSA. Chalk may be picked up and returned to the Common Connection.
All displays must clearly state the sponsoring organization/department. Student Organization displays must be approved by the advisor before student organizations can chalk.
WCSA is not responsible for the erasing or tampering of information. However, chalking of any content that is deemed inappropriate by WCSA will be removed immediately. Inappropriate content includes drug paraphernalia and slanderous language.
All chalking will be erased by midnight on the last day of the reservation.
A table may be scheduled by submitting the online Off-Campus Table Request Form.
Off-campus constituents can only request dates and times during the academic year. Off-campus constituents can request a maximum of two time slots per day, which includes 9 a.m.– 2 p.m., 2 p.m. – 7 p.m., or 7 p.m. – midnight, Saturday and Sunday. Off-campus constituents can request a maximum of five days per month for vending purposes.
Once the form is approved, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided by the person who submitted the form.
There is a fee of $30 a day. This fee will be invoiced to the person who submitted the form at the end of the confirmed vending period. Checks should be made payable to the University of Rochester. This fee must be paid regardless of whether or not there are any sales made. Cancellations must be communicated 48 hours before the start of the reservation date.
Wilson Commons will provide one free vendor table to any Boy or Girl Scout Troop per semester. Any additional vendor tables requested will carry the $30 fee per additional day.
All off-campus constituents must check in at the Common Connection desk before setting up their table and stay at the designated vendor table at all times and be present during the length of the reservation. NO SOLICITATION is allowed anywhere else in Wilson Commons.
The standard set-up is one five-foot table and two chairs. Use of any other tables or chairs in the area is strictly prohibited. Any additional equipment needed to display items must fit on the five-foot table or the immediate area surrounding the table. Any display used in the surrounding area that is deemed as blocking a fire egress will need to be removed.
No posters, banners, or materials can be hung from the ceiling or walls. Off-campus constituents may not advertise, promote, or sell credit cards.
Wilson Commons Student Activities (WCSA) will not and cannot tolerate the selling of any unlicensed, counterfeit, or bootleg merchandise, candles, incense, or any item with an open flame, as well as all upward-facing bowl lamps, decorative string lights, or flammable room decorations.
Items that advertise or promote alcohol or other drugs cannot be sold in Wilson Commons. Vendors selling such items will be asked to leave immediately.
No overnight storage is available. Off-campus constituents are responsible for bringing and removing their merchandise at the beginning and end of each confirmed day. Off-campus constituents must contact the WCSA office at (585) 275-9390 at least a day before to discuss proper unloading procedures.
It is the sole responsibility of the off-campus constituent to secure parking on the University campus. Contact the Parking Office at (585) 275-4524.
Off-campus constituents accept checks and credit cards at their own risk. Wilson Commons will not assume responsibility for students' accounts and will not release personal information.
- Flex Tables are only available for reservation by College Student Organizations and Fraternity & Sorority Life groups.
- Funds earned at the Flex tables from mid-March to the last day of classes, may not be available prior to the end of the academic year. Please be mindful of this, prior to submitting your request.
- Flex Tables reservations are limited to two (2) reservations per semester, four (4) per academic year. Flex machines can be reserved for a maximum of five (5) days per reservation. A fee of $3 per day will be assessed for all confirmed reservations and will be deducted prior to the distribution of funds.
- Student organizations with confirmed flex reservation(s) may store non-perishable supplies at the Common Connection as long as they fit within the bin designated for that flex table.
- All Flex Table reservations that involve the sale of food, must follow University sanitation policies.
- Sales, advertising and solicitation must be conducted at the assigned Flex Table. Individuals staffing the table may not solicit anywhere else in Wilson Commons. At least one representative from the student organization to whom the reservation was confirmed must be present during use.
- College Student Organizations and Fraternity and Sorority Life groups may not harass or shout at patrons of Wilson Commons. Organizations engaging in harassment will be asked to leave and have their Flex Table reservation cancelled.
- Funds collected from through the Flex machines will be available on the second Thursday of the month following the reservations. Earnings for College Student Organizations will be deposited into their designated SOFO account. Earnings for Fraternity & Sorority Life groups will be dispersed in the form of check by the FSA Advisor(s).
- If the earnings earned at the Flex tables do not exceed the fees owed, the organization will be invoiced and payment must be paid in full before the Organization can reserve future WCSA resources, including (but not limited to) room reservations, promotional opportunities, etc.
- Only URos and cash may be accepted at Flex Tables. Use of mobile payment (such as Venmo, PayPal, etc.) methods is not permitted at the Flex Tables.
- Exceptions to this policy may be approved on a case-by-case basis. To request an Exception, please complete the Exception Form.
- Failure to comply with Flex Table policy, may result in discontinuation of sales for the remainder of the reservations timeframe and/or loss of privileges.
Flex Tables cannot be used for the following:
- To sell tickets, raffle tickets or any other item that is tied to admittance, participation or registration for an event or program.
- To collect dues. This includes fines that are imposed on the student organization.
- To sell paraphernalia related to alcohol or drug consumption.
- Flex Table reservations can be cancelled by submitting the Promotional Opportunities Cancellation form by 10:00am, at least 1 business day before the start of the reservation.
- An organization that fails to cancel their reservation by 10:00am on the business before the start of the reservation and/or does not show-up for confirmed reservation(s), will be assessed the $3 per day fee and the organization’s Flex table privileges will be suspended for the remainder of the semester. Additionally, the organization's room reservations (confirmed or submitted) will be cancelled and the organization will be unable to submit requests for room reservations and promotional opportunities until the fee is paid in full. Once the payment is received, the organization will be permitted to submit room reservation requests, but will be unable to submit Flex Table requests until the next academic semester.
Loss or Damage
Any loss, damage, or vandalism to the unit, case, or key during your reservation, is the responsibility of the organization that is using it and will be charged based on the cost for repair or replacement (not to exceed $3,000). Any of the above circumstances must be reported immediately to the Wilson Commons building manager. Below is a list of fines per damage: $50 if the key is lost or damaged $100 if a damaged containment box requires replacement.
"Info tables" are available as a simple way to promote the activities of your club or organization. Wilson Commons has four (4) available information tables. Two (2) are located at the top of the steps of Hirst Lounge.
The remaining two (2) are located on the 1st floor of Wilson Commons in front of the Ruth Merrill Center. Information tables can be requested from 9am-2pm, 2pm-7pm, and 7pm-midnight.
Reserving Info tables
- To reserve an information table in Wilson Commons, submit a request using the Promotional Opportunities form located on the Forms Tab in CCC
- All info table requests are to be submitted at least 5 business days prior to the start of the earliest requested reservation date.
- Reservations are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Upon approval, a confirmation email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. In the case the request cannot be accommodated, an email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. Please be aware that groups are not guaranteed an info table.
- Information tables can be reserved for a maximum of 8 consecutive days. A reservation confirms one group one table for the aforementioned 8 consecutive days.
- Confirmations will be emailed to the requestor.
Info Table Policy
- Priority will be given to student organizations for table reservations in Hirst Lounge.
- A confirmation of an information table is for the designated table and as such information can only be provided to patrons of Wilson Commons from the designated table.
- Individuals staffing the table may not solicit anywhere else in Wilson Commons.
- At least one representative from the student organization or department to whom the reservation was confirmed must be present during entire use. There are no exceptions.
- A maximum of two time slots (9am-2pm, 2pm-7pm and 7pm-12am) per information table request.
- Information tables cannot be used for Student Organization fundraising, for the sale of items, or tickets.
- URos cash and mobile payments may not be collected at the information table.
- Exceptions to this policy may be approved on a case-by-case basis. To request an Exception, please complete the Exception Form
- In the event the tabling area in Hirst is needed for an event, confirmed Information Table reservations will be moved to the Information Tables on the first floor. If the Information Tables are not available on the first floor, Information Table reservations will be cancelled or, at the digression of the Reservation Coordinator, share the space with confirmed Events.
- Confirmed Information Table reservations that plan to serve food must follow University Sanitation policies. Read the University Sanitation Policies.
Info Table Cancellation Policy
- Information Table reservations can be cancelled but submitting the Promotional Opportunities Cancellation form by 10:00am, at least 1 business day before the start of the reservation. Submit a Promotional Opportunities Cancellation request.