A LEAN TOWARD MUSIC--When the University of Rochester Chamber Orchestra traveled to Italy in May, it was a trip filled with making music--and memories, like this one at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The 30 students who participated performed concerts and held workshops with local students in Arezzo in the Tuscany region. David Harman, professor of music and director of orchestral activities in the College Music Program, also is the orchestra's founder and conductor. Reflecting on the trip he said, "It really helps one to understand the context of the music if you've got a chance to actually be in the place where it was written."
July 6, 1999
Volume 27 Number 12
- Summer institute eyes visual culture
- Chemistry professor makes DNA discovery
- 'Antisense' compound targets disease
- New center to focus on education reform
- UTD announces phone-system rollout plan
- Parthé, Givens to edit Russian journal
- Lupacks write of America's King Arthur
- Barrett, Chiarenza win Fairchild Award
- Gallery gets $150,000 Luce grant
- UHS receives accreditation from JCAHO
- Friends of the Libraries give $30,000
- In Brief
- Calendar of Events
Mark your calendarsCurrents is published every three weeks through mid-August. The next issue will be published on Monday, July 26. The deadline for submissions is noon, Monday, July 19, one week prior to publication.
The remaining summer publication date is August 16. Deadline for submissions is as usual: one week prior to publication, by noon.
Phone x5-4118; fax 275-0359; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Julie Welch, editor
Joe Gawlowicz, photographer
Joseph P. Chakalis, Sr., webmaster
Maintained by University Public Relations
Please send your comments and suggestions to: Public Relations.
Last updated 7-6-1999