We strive to provide healthy and delicious options in all of our locations. In addition to our deliberate efforts to offer healthier choices separately, we also make decisions that seamlessly integrate healthier options into our menus that create more opportunities for healthy choices within our standard menu offerings. We employ a full-time nutritionist and work closely with University Health Service to counsel students with dietary preferences.
Here are a few examples
- Menus are created using the Department of Agriculture’s MyPlate program methodology to offer complete meals in all locations.
- Named a Most Vegan Friendly University by PETA2 for the past 3 years.
- Major residential locations feature at least 3 Vegan/Vegetarian entrees at each meal
- Whole wheat bread, wraps, and pitas are available at all appropriate stations and whole wheat pasta is substituted in menu items or offered as a choice in action stations.
- Brown rice has been substituted for white rice in 1/3 of appropriate menu items and is available as a substitute for white rice in retail settings.
- We regularly feature healthier items of traditional favorites – turkey bacon, turkey sausage, vegan chili, dirty rice made with seitan, grilled fish tacos versus breaded, locally sourced and made veggie burgers.
- Robust salad bars available in all major locations that include fresh cut fruit, legumes, lean proteins and alternative proteins, and composed salads that often feature grains – quinoa, barley, farro, etc. Low fat pre-packaged and house-made dressings are also available at these salad bars.
- Lean proteins readily available (poultry, fish) within composed dishes or available separately to allow patrons to enjoy a whole lean protein in addition to their other selections.
- We have been named a Most Vegan Friendly University by PETA2 for the past 3 years.
- We have a very large and vocal Vegan/Vegetarian Population and we work very closely with the SAVVY (Student Association of Vegan Vegetarian Youth) student group on campus to continue to push our program.
- We participate in the Meatless Monday program and work with on campus co-sponsors (Team Green, University Health Service, SAVVY) to make it a robust program.
- We have a kosher station in one of our residential dining locations that offers hot and cold deli sandwiches, hot entrees, sides and house-made kosher pickles.
- We have dedicated Made Without Gluten areas in our two main residential dining locations. We offer a hot entrée, soup, sides, salads, and specialty items like bread, cookies, crackers, in our Douglass residential location and keep an entire station gluten free at all meals in our Danforth Fresh Food Company location.
- We have also recently created a more robust Halal dining program. One of our chefs has worked very closely with several of our halal students to create some authentic recipes that he features each weekend on a separate station in one of our dining halls.
- We keep one of our major residential locations entirely nut-free at all times.
- Our convenience store on campus is truly unlike any other of its kind. We stock our location with a very wide variety of foods to satisfy specialty dining requirements and offer lists of available products online and in store to help guide students. We offer Vegan/Vegetarian, Kosher, Halal, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free and more.