About the Entrepreneurs-in-Residence
John HawkinsPresident, Benchview Management Corp.; Vice President, Paramax Corp.
Kathryn CartiniCMO, Upstate Venture Connect and CEO, Peacock Media
Andrew ScheinmanCEO, Nidus BioSciences and Principle and Owner, Scheinman Law
Vice President, Paramax Corp.;
President, Benchview Management Corp.
Mr. Hawkins is an entrepreneur with over 30 years of diverse business experience. He has expertise in the areas of strategic growth, operations and operational efficiencies, and business advisory services with both publicly traded and privately held organizations.
- Currently the President of Benchview Management Corporation, a management consulting firm providing business advisory services to executives in both publicly traded and privately held organizations.
- Currently a Vice President with Paramax Corporation, a boutique investment banking firm, focused primarily on sell-side M&A transactions for companies with enterprise values ranging from $5 million to $500 million.
- Founder and former President of Employer Services Corporation, a nationally recognized human resources outsourcing firm. As a result of his vision and leadership, the Company, which started in the fourth-bedroom of his home, completed 2013 with sales of approximately $260 million. Mr. Hawkins sold his interest in 2013.
- Former Vice President with Computer Task Group (NASDAQ: CTG), a $400 million publicly traded technology-consulting firm (Forbes America’s Top 200 Best Small Companies in 2009).
- Recognized by INC Magazine as a five-time (5) recipient of the INC 500 award as one of America’s 500 Fastest Growing Companies (2001, 2002, 2008, 2009, & 2010)
- Recognized by INC Magazine as America’s #1 Fastest Growing Human Resources Company (2008)
- Selected by Asparte Books to co-author “Inside the Minds: Managing for Profits Centers”
- Received WNY’s “40 Under Forty” award for business success and community service
- Selected by BNSME as a speaker at INC 500 CEO Roundtable, “Fast Growth in Slow Times”
Mr. Hawkins is a registered Investment Banking Representative and holds FINRA Series 62, 63, and 79 licenses. He also holds a degree in Business Administration from SUNY Buffalo.
CMO, Upstate Venture Connect
CEO, Peacock Media
Ms. Cartini is a social entrepreneur with a passion for sharing stories. After graduating from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications, she began to pursue her interests in marketing, media, and empowerment. In 2011, she began Peacock Media, a boutique inbound marketing and creative content firm that specializes in working with startups and venture capital firms throughout the northeast. Ms. Cartini also serves as the CMO for Upstate Venture Connect, which aims to create a regional, sustainable environment for business growth. Additionally, to advance entrepreneurial and economic opportunities for women, she also works as an Associate Partner at Chloe Capital.
CEO, Nidus BioSciences
Principle and Owner, Scheinman Law
Dr. Scheinman is a serial entrepreneur and lawyer with vast experience in the life sciences. He has over 30 years of experience in a variety of fields, ranging from molecular biology to patent law. Through his work with startups and business consulting, Dr. Scheinman is frequently able to utilize his expertise and combine his interests.
Serving as CEO of Nidus BioSciences is Dr. Scheinman’s latest project. Nidus began as a facet of the University of Rochester, but has since transitioned to a free-standing commercial enterprise. There, Dr. Scheinman helps with technology licensing, IP strategic planning, scientific development, and general practices relating to business growth. Additionally, he is Principle and Owner of Scheinman Law, consulting with university and private business clients on business tactics regarding IP matters.
In addition to his own ventures, Dr. Scheinman takes on various consulting projects. In 2013 alone, he helped guide GradFly and StrongArm Technologies (two Rochester-based ventures) through the stages of business development. He has also served as a coach for the National Science Foundation’s I-Corps Program, a mentor at HTR Launchpad in Rochester, and has given presentations on science, entrepreneurship, and IP throughout the state of New York.
Dr. Scheinman holds a B.S. in Biochemistry from University of Illinois-Urbana, a Ph.D. in Biology and Molecular Biology from UCLA, and a J.D. from California Western School of Law.