The University of Rochester now offers dedicated incubator space for student-created businesses, housed at High Tech Rochester's Lennox Tech Enterprise Center.
Eligibility & Application Process:
- The Student Incubator is available to selected student-run startup companies.
- To be eligible for admission, each company must be made up of a majority of currently-enrolled students (with company ownership), either undergraduate or graduate level.
- All interested student businesses must fill out an application form to be considered for admission into the incubator. Applications must be submitted to the Center for Entrepreneurship (see right for submission information).
- The annual winner of the Mark Ain Business Model Competition will automatically qualify for admission into the Student Incubator.
Incubator Services & Benefits:
- Free furnished space within the Student Incubator, including wireless internet access, and access to shared meeting rooms.
- Each student business will be assigned a mentor, who will provide coaching and guidance, and will help their teams establish quarterly milestone targets.
- Student Incubator companies will also have access to all client amenities within the HTR Lennox Tech Enterprise Center – this includes access to conference rooms, the multi-media center, shared copiers, printers, etc., as well as access to High Tech Rochester’s Director of New Ventures and Entrepreneurs-in-Residence, who can provide additional coaching, mentoring, and connections.
- Student Incubator clients agree to use the space for the purpose of building real companies, and not for any other purpose.
- The student teams agree to provide quarterly updates to their mentor, which will include progress against agreed upon milestones, and financial reporting – to help companies begin to develop a regular reporting ‘rhythm.’
Exiting the Student Incubator:
- If student companies fail to make progress on their agreed upon milestones for a period of six months or longer, they may be asked to exit the incubator.
- Once all company team members have graduated from the University, they will no longer be eligible for free space and will begin to transition out of the Student Incubator (transition period not to exceed one year). During the transition period, companies will pay a discounted rent to the University (equal to $100/month per team member, up to $200/month maximum per company), beginning the first day of the month following the last team member’s graduation from the University.
- “Graduates” of the Student Incubator will be encouraged to stay within the Lennox Tech Enterprise Center, and become HTR client companies, to continue to receive coaching, mentoring, and incubation services.