University of Rochester

Equal Opportunity Home

Requesting Housing or Dining Accommodations

The University of Rochester recognizes that students who have a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities may need a specific type of housing arrangement or dining plan to fully participate in the U of R community. For these students, the U of R provides disability housing and dining accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended (ADA AA) and other relevant laws.


To  request a housing or dining accommodation follow this 3-step process:


1. Prior to requesting an accommodation choose a meal plan and participate in the housing selection process. 

2. Complete a Request for Disability Housing or Dining Accommodations Form.

3. Return the form to the University Health Service with the following:

a. Personal statement describing your disability and need for the housing or dining accommodation you are requesting

b. Documentation about your disability that demonstrates

i. a direct link between the underlying condition and the requested accommodation and

ii. has a description of the functional limitations of the disabling condition as they relate to the major life activity impacted by the diagnosis.

It is important that the documentation also includes the diagnosis, the history of onset, methods used to determine the diagnosis and the suggested accommodation.

    c. A signed release allowing UHS to contact your health care provider.

    d. If applicable, a signed Evacuation Assistance Form.

    i. If you have a disability which may impede your ability to evacuate in the event of an emergency the University of Rochester's Environmental Health and Safety department would like to work with you to create personalized evacuation plans for the locations in which you live, study and work. Please fill out the form above and contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 to discuss creating your personalized evacuation plan. For more information, click here.

    Timeline for requesting housing accommodations

    Accommodation requests are reviewed on a rolling basis. It typically take around one week from the date all requested information is submitted to UHS to the date a letter is sent notifying the student of the decision. In order to best accommodate those students with requests related to housing, it is most helpful if

    Newly admitted graduate and undergraduate students submit requests for housing accommodations by June 1st, and

    Upperclassman and returned graduate students submit requests for housing accommodations by March 1st

    Reviewing the Request

    Upon receipt of the required information a review of the request will be completed by professional staff in either University Health Service or the University Counseling Center in collaboration with the Office of Residential Life and Dining Services. After this review the request may (1) be approved (2) be denied or (3) a reasonable accommodation other than the specifically requested one may be suggested. Whether a particular accommodation requested can be provided is determined case by case, according to documented need.

    Decisions regarding housing and/or dining accommodations are made after a determination of:

    1. The student's disability status
    2. Whether the disability necessitates adjustments to the living environment or dining options
    3. Available housing and dining options
    Notification of Decision

    After your request is reviewed you will receive a letter with the decision regarding your requested accommodation. The letter will outline which (if any) accommodations have been approved and any initial steps that need to be taken. If a requested accommodation has not been approved the letter will explain the rationale for the denial of the request and will describe approved alternative accommodations, if applicable.