Tools Search Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for the implementation of the equal opportunity, equal employment opportunity, and affirmative action plans, policies and procedures at the University of Rochester?

 All individual staff and faculty members have a shared responsibility to see that Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action procedures are considered in all academic and employment practices - admissions, grading, recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, compensation, discipline, benefits and other terms, conditions, benefits and privileges associated with academia or employment.

All department chairs, directors, administrative officers, deans, and executive officers are individually responsible for supervising the implementation of the Affirmative Action Plans in their respective areas.

Together, the Provost and the Vice President for Human Resources bear ultimate administrative responsibility for the implementation of the Affirmative Action Plans.

I am an employee of the University and would like to speak with someone about obtaining an accommodation due to my disability. Who should I speak with?

Your first step in obtaining a disability related accommodation is to speak with your direct supervisor (including your department chair for faculty members). Approach them about your need for an accommodation and see if they can provide an arrangement that will meet your needs. If working with your supervisor did not result in an outcome that you feel comfortable with, consider consulting with your HR Business Partner or contacting a University Intercessor. If you are not satisfied with the process of obtaining an accommodation you also have the option of initiating a formal complaint through the process explained in the Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment.

I am a student with a disability and would like to talk to someone about an accommodation for my academic coursework. Who should I contact?

The University has designated Disability Coordinators in each of our six schools. You can access the list of disability coordinators here.

I am a student with a disability and would like to talk to someone about a housing or dining accommodation. Who should I contact?

University Health Services provides support for students with disabilities who need accommodations in their housing or dining environments. Please see this page for information about how to request a housing or dining accommodation.

I think that I have been treated inappropriately due to my age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation or other legally protected status. What do I do now?

There are several options available to individuals who believe that they have been discriminated against or harassed due to their protected status. It is important that you choose the option that feels comfortable to you and that you believe is likely to result in a positive outcome.

You may:

  1. approach the person directly and ask that they stop the behavior;
  2. meet with a University Intercessor who can assist in mediating or facilitating an informal resolution of the problem; or
  3. file a formal complaint by filing out this report form and submitting it to (1) any Human Resources Office (2) any Dean’s Office (3) the Office of the Provost or the Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences, (4) any Dean of Students Office or (6) any Intercessor. For details regarding this process please review Personnel Policy 106.