Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

Global Engagement

Updates and Information on the Federal Immigration Executive Order

University Statement on Recent Presidential Executive Order

“Yesterday, President Trump signed a new Executive Order that restricts citizens from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen who do not currently have a valid visa from entering the United States. This order replaces EO 13769 issued on January 27, 2017, and will go into effect on March 16, 2017. The University is continuing to monitor developments related to these Executive Orders to assess their impact on the University of Rochester community and future University students. We will continue University sponsorship and document issuance for all eligible foreign nationals.

“International faculty, students, and staff contribute in innumerable ways to the academic and cultural life of the University of Rochester and make our campus ever better. The University is stronger because of their presence here, and our community and our world benefit from their contributions. We are committed to providing support in every lawful way we can.

“Officials from the University’s International Services Office (ISO) continue to strongly recommend that students, scholars, and employees from the affected countries who plan to travel internationally speak with an ISO staff member before leaving the U.S. The Global Engagement Immigration Updates page has full information on the University resources for students and employees to use, as well as all executive orders to date. ISO staff members can be reached at”

Guidance on University sponsorship practices related to this order


AAU President Memorandum

The Association of American Universities (AAU), of which the University of Rochester is a member, filed an amicus brief. The impact to all schools, including the UofR, is included.


UR Issued Statements


President, Provost, and Medical Center CEO Statement on Immigration Orders

Statement from President Joel Seligman, Provost and Senior Vice President for Research Robert L. Clark, and CEO of the Medical Center and UR Medicine, and Senior Vice President for Health Sciences Mark Taubman


Vice Provost for Global Engagement Statement on Immigration Orders

Statement from Vice Provost for Global Engagement, Jane Gatewood

University Resources

International Services Office: Rely on experienced professionals familiar with current immigration and travel permissions for planning and support. Referrals to qualified immigration attorneys available.

Contact: International Services Office,, (585) 275-2866, 213 Morey Hall

ISO Summaries: Executive Orders & Other ActionsThe ISO has created brief descriptions outlining important details of recent Executive Orders on immigration policy and other actions that impact our international community.

Paul J. Burgett Intercultural Center (BIC) exists to promote cultural awareness and engagement, educate on issues of identity, culture, and diversity, and provide opportunities for collaboration among students, staff, and faculty.

Academic & Other Advisers: Consider contacting your school/department for support and referrals to other University resources. Depending on your University affiliation, such offices could include:

University Counseling Center: Services are available for a wide variety of challenges that can include anxiety, depression, school-related problems, family problems, and grief. UCC has a professional on-call 24 hours per day for emergencies. Visits are confidential.

Contact: University Counseling Center, UHS Building, 738 Library Road, (585) 275-3113

CARE Network: Members of UR community can submit a referral ( to request assistance, for themselves or a peer, and become connected to available resources.

Contact: CARE Network,, (585) 275-4085

Interfaith Chapel: Chaplains are available by appointment or often by visiting the Interfaith Chapel any day between 10 and 6 (and frequently later). Visits are confidential.

Contact: The Rev. Dr. C. Denise Yarbrough, Director, Religious and Spiritual Life, Interfaith Chapel,
500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd., (585) 275-8422,

Support and Discussion

Safe Haven Group: A Weekly Gathering for Support and Discussion at this time of Political Transition

Thursdays from 5-6:30 PM, February 9thuntil April 27th in the BIC Quiet Room, Douglass Commons

This group aims to provide a safe supportive space to those students impacted directly or indirectly by the American political transition, policy shifts and social upheaval therein. We imagine it being a challenge to navigate being in a competitive academic setting and at the same time being affected by the toxicity of the current geopolitical environment. These impacts may include but are not limited to crises of immigration, bias incidents and discrimination, and uncertainty about the future. In addition to helping you feel supported, the experience of being in a group can also help you to provide support for others in similar circumstances.

We welcome undergraduate and graduate students to share their experiences as they strive to balance very different contexts and realities. The group will meet once weekly during the spring semester and will be co-facilitated by therapists from the University Counseling Center.

Meetings will be approximately 1 hour with an optional 10min self-care transition activity for those who can stay after the meeting. This is an open group, which means that coming to one meeting does not mean you have to come every week. However, we recommend that you come to at least 3 meetings in a row in service of providing continuity of support for yourself and for others. You are welcome to come to as many meeting as you would like.

Have your summer plans been affected by government actions regarding US immigration?

The recent government actions regarding US immigration policy, and concerns about additional orders or policies that could take effect in the coming months, have created confusion and uncertainty for some of our students.

If you are an undergraduate, The College would like to know whether these recent changes have affected your summer plans. The questionnaire can be found online at:

Based on the information provided we may be able to recommend on or off-campus support resources to help you engage in meaningful work, study or research this summer.

Please be advised that completing this questionnaire does not guarantee support.

This information is needed by April 10, 2017



Community Resources

Legal Resources: Legal Aid Society of Rochester, Volunteer Legal Service Project of Monroe County

Additional Assistance

The European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO) has set up The Science Solidarity List, a list of scientists offering temporary bench or desk space, library access and possibly even accommodation for US-based scientists who are stranded abroad due to the Executive Order.
If you know a US-based scientist affected by this ban, you may direct them to this list of scientists who may be able to offer some assistance.

For more information, visit The Solidarity List:


Q: As a foreign national, can I travel domestically (within the US)?
A: Yes. Always carry valid immigration documentation even if you are traveling domestically. We have no indication from the executive order that there should be any issue for domestic travel. If you were to be asked questions it is important you can demonstrate your ability to be in the country legally. For international students, that is: your I-20/DS-2019, your I-94, and your passport (with visa if applicable). For staff, the documents vary but you want to be able to demonstrate your legal and professional relationship with the university.
Q: Can I travel internationally? Will I be able to renew my visa? (For students who are not from the 7 countries listed.)
A: Yes. There is always risk in travel. If you are prepared and you have your documentation we don’t necessarily see any issues – except for the Visa Interview Waiver program, which has been suspended.
Q: Will I be able to renew my visa? (For students who are not from the 7 countries listed.)
A: Yes, you will be able to renew your visa, but we do anticipate visa processing delays.
Q: UR indicated that it will not release any information except what is required. Can you expand on what that info is that will be released?
A: We have to report some information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program database (SEVIS) for international students in the US on our visa sponsorship. Beyond that, we do not share information. Info in SEVIS includes citizenship, DOB, passport name, and the rest is mostly academic: funding sources, registration, local residential address. We will continue to maintain that reporting obligation because it is how we maintain legal status for our students.
Q: Will new countries be added? Which ones are likely? Should all non-citizens stay in the US just in case?
A: There is a 90 day period in which Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Department of State (DOS) review requirements for entry for all countries. The order indicates that if countries fail to comply, they may be added to the list. It is possible that countries could be added to the list if they are determined to not comply. In approximately 25 days we should learn if any other countries will be added.
Q: Will UR continue to issue I-20s and DS-2019 and other sponsorship documents for these 7 countries?
A: Yes, we will issue documents to any individual who meets requirements of the immigration regulations and qualifications to be sponsored as a student or scholar. The burden is on the government to evaluate that candidate from a visa issuance perspective. Issuance does not mean individuals will automatically be able to obtain entry to US or benefits through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), but you will not have any problem getting documents or assistance in preparing application.
Q: Will the University continue to admit students from these 7 countries?
A: Yes, we will admit eligible students, subject to application guidelines and eligibility. The university does not consider country of citizenship as criteria for admission. Once a student is admitted, if entry into the US will be a problem the department will reach out to ISO.
Q: Is it possible for the university to make a plan to continue research/studies abroad for students who can’t come back?
A: Once students are matriculated if they are having difficulties completing their program in-person, accommodations will be reviewed and made on a case-by-case basis, subject to approval by their academic program and school. The University is supportive of such possibilities.
Q: What would happen if a student, faculty or staff member gets stuck at the border (i.e. country of origin or travel from one of 7 countries but not a citizen of one of those 7 countries)? Could they contact the school?
A: Absolutely – please contact ISO at 585-275-2866. We have routinely spoken to immigration officers at the airport and borders. We also have staff available after-hours if we have travelers running into those circumstances. Call public safety, 585-275-3333 – they will contact an advisor.Our Travel assistance providers can also offer legal referral services and help you contact the consulate office, make travel arrangements etc.

Available to faculty, staff, and students traveling on University business (includes inbound international students and scholars, dependent children, and spouses):
Europ Assist
1 (888) 987-5920 from U.S.
1 (240) 330-1571 from International / accepts collect

Available to faculty, staff and students traveling on University sponsored/supported international travel (includes dependent children & spouses):
Mercer Assistance Services
1 (855) 327-1469 from U.S.
1 (312) 935-3542 from international / accepts collect

Q: What if anything has the university done to support ongoing legal orders? Would the university take any legal action against the US government?
A: There have been a number of lawsuits started against the executive order. Some have been instituted by states, which are more effective parties than a single institution like UR. We are collaborative and there are consortia-based organizations like the American Association of Universities where we can combine our resources with other institutions, and we will continue to work with these organizations and our peers. In addition, there are organizations within the country that exist to fight racism such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
Q: I’m from one of the banned countries, and I’m graduating in a month or so. I have a job offer from an employer for an H1B. Can they proceed with that for me?
A: There has been no official statement, but we still do not know if they are going to give immigration benefits (such as conversion to a new visa type) from USCIS. But definitely, proceed with the job offer.
Q: If I am prohibited from traveling and the school year ends, will the university provide assistance for staying in the USA over the summer?
A: The university will provide assistance to students who need accommodation over the summer if they are restricted from traveling. More details on this support will be available should the need arise.

Provide Support

Donate to Global Engagement Fund through the Office of Advancement.

Funds will support the University of Rochester’s global engagement, supporting initiatives of institutional priority across all schools, clusters, and institutes. Initiatives may include student and faculty mobility, partnership development and support, international student and scholar support, as well as research and other collaborative activities. Funds may support activities or initiatives that occur on- or off-campus.

If you would like to provide alternative means of assistance, please email

Provide Support