Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

Global Engagement

How do I host an international visiting collaborator or researcher?

Visiting researchers, including post-docs, or faculty are frequently professors, researchers, or scientists with formal appointments elsewhere, who visit and collaborate with faculty members, researcher, and scientists at Rochester. Each school within the University of Rochester has specific appointment procedures for visiting faculty and post-docs, and Global Engagement will refer these cases appropriately. Throughout the Global Visitor Process, you must complete a series of forms in order to prepare the paperwork for your visitor’s arrival.

To host an international visiting collaborator or researcher, complete all of the steps in the checklist below.


  • 1. Complete an Indication of Interest Form

    Indication of Interest

    Simply propose a placement for a visitor by filling out the form. Do not issue a letter of invitation at this time. Global will provide departments with assistance in issuing a letter later in the process.

    Does the visitor need an early invitation letter in order to secure funding? Email 

    Global submits your completed form to your department head. Once your department head approves the Indication of Interest and the student completes the Online Application, Global determines which placement category your candidate falls into: visiting student, collaborator, or researcher. Global will upload all submitted forms and documents to the department folder in Box. NOTE: SMD departments must have GEPA approval prior to department head approval. Global will assist in facilitating GEPA approval.

    Need access to the department Box-folder? Email 

  • 2. Complete the J-1 Department Questionnaire and English Assessment Form
    J-1 Department Questionnaire
    English Assessment Form

    ISO will confirm the visa categorization and will notify you and the visitor of this categorization. ISO will request the Questionnaire and English Assessment Form be completed with additional instructions and information.

    Questions about the forms? Contact the International Services Office (ISO)

  • 3. Offer Letter

    Global will draft the Offer Letter for the visiting collaborator or researcher and will email the letter to you for review. Ask the visitor to sign the letter and return it to Global. Please copy Global on this email correspondence at

    Once the Offer Letter is received ISO will begin processing the immigration document. You will receive communication from ISO once the primary immigration document needed for the candidate to obtain their visa is issued. The department coordinator will collect the document and mail it to the visiting collaborator or researcher. It is then the responsibility of the visiting student to obtain the visa.

    Global will send the visitor information about housing, transportation, health insurance, and more.

  • 4. Visitor Arrives!

    Review the Visiting Collaborator or Researcher Arrival Checklist

    The visitor will need to check in with ISO upon arrival. The department must complete the appropriate forms to register the visitor as a non-matriculated full-time visiting student as soon as possible. All visiting students are required to be registered. This will allow the visitor to properly set up their Net ID and obtain Blackboard access. It is the responsibility of the department to help the visitor with obtaining the appropriate UR permissions and access, including the facilitation of ID cards.

    NOTE: Obtaining an ID Card for a visitor in the Medical Center may be different from obtaining an ID Card on the River Campus. If your visitor is in the Medical Center, contact the registrar for further instruction.

Important Notes for Faculty:

As the hosting faculty, you are the visiting student, collaborator, or researchers’ supervisor and primary point of contact with the University from an academic, research, support, and supervisory standpoint.

If the duration of the visiting student, collaborator, or researchers’ time at UR changes—either shortens or lengthens—you should inform your department head/dean for approval as soon as possible, and then notify ISO and Global.

Questions or concerns? Contact us at or +1 585-273-1665.


<< Back to Visiting Students, Collaborators, and Researchers