Funding and Support
Summer Internship Funding is available thanks to the generous gifts of University of Rochester friends and alumni who believe in the importance of experiential opportunities.
Summer Internship Funding provides monetary support for undergraduates who obtain a summer internship to investigate career options, develop skills, and link classroom learning to the world of work.
Programs that include a fee to participate, like study abroad, are not eligible for funding. For questions on whether your experience qualifies as an internship, see the internship overview page.
Summer Research Funding is aimed at increasing and enhancing undergraduate research opportunities for University of Rochester matriculated undergraduates. The grant is funded by the Office of Undergraduate Research. For more information see the Summer Research Funding page.
- Search for and secure an internship. If you need assistance, meet with a staff member or peer career advisor in the Gwen M. Greene Center. The opportunity must be secured before applying for funding, and your internship supervisor will receive a request to confirm the dates, hours and any funding they are providing to you.
- Apply online (application available March 1 – April 9)
- If you have secured an international internship, you are encouraged to apply by March 15 if possible. The university needs additional time to process international experience applications, and we may be able to assist with travel arrangements. If you miss the March 15 early deadline, you can still apply for the April 9 deadline, but funding may be delayed due to processing timeframe's.
- The primary application deadline is Monday April 9. There is no advantage to early application (other than the above international experience exception), so take the time you need to develop the strongest application possible.
Creating a Strong Application
As with any application, we encourage you to put reflection, time, and effort into your funding application. The following tips can help you prepare a strong application.
- Use the application checklist worksheet to compile all of the information you will need to input into the online application. You will be able to save and return to your application if needed, up until your final submission.
- We encourage you to take advantage of the Writing, Speaking, and Argument Program as well as collaboration hours at the Greene Center to review your budget justification and career impact statements prior to the deadline. Be concise but complete with your statements.
- Check the application scoring rubric to understand how applications are evaluated.
In addition, applications with the following have a higher likelihood of receiving funding:
- Clearly describes how each budget line was researched and estimated
- Describes how you will maximize your budget for the summer
- Explains how receiving summer internship funding is important to your ability to complete the internship
Career impact statement:
- Describes your motivation for undertaking the internship
- Makes strong connections between the internship experience and your academic or career goals
- Gives concrete examples of how the internship activities will help you develop career competencies
Evaluation and Payment Process for Internships
Applications are evaluated based on funding requested, the completeness and quality of the application, the budget justification, and career impact statements.
Award amounts are based on budget submitted. They typically range from $1,000 to $2,500.
If awarded funding, payments are made in two stipends sent directly from the University of Rochester HRMS payroll system. Prior to departing for the summer you should:
- Verify that you have an updated I-9 through the Student Employment Office. If you do not, or have not held a previous job on campus, please be sure to file this promptly upon receiving your award notification.
- If you already have access to your account in HRMS, make sure that you have direct deposit information up to date. All payments will be processed through direct deposit this year.
- Make sure you have downloaded the University’s VPN access client to your computer, so you can login to HRMS to view your payment status from off-campus.
Payments are made by the end of June and the end of August. All Summer Internship Funding recipients should be aware that tax withholding MAY be taken out of your check, depending on your primary citizenship and any applicable tax treaties.
See the funding frequently asked questions page for more information.