Office 365 FAQs
- What will not migrate from Zimbra to Office 365?
The following items will not migrate from Zimbra to Office 365:
- Briefcase - Your briefcase can be moved to the University Box service (UR Box) or SharePoint. Contact University IT at (585) 275-2000 to set up your account and for help with each service.
- Contact groups/distribution lists - Contact groups and distribution lists that were created in Zimbra will not migrate. Please work with your desktop support group to re-create.
- Roles - Shared mailboxes/shared accounts will migrate, however, roles do not. Please work with your desktop support group to re-establish roles.
- Empty Folders - A folder will not be migrated if it does not have any email in it.
- Junk Mail - The Junk Mail folder will not be migrated.
- Forwarding - Forwarding to another email account will not be migrated.
- Common Features including email signatures, mail handling rules, email tags, contact groups, calendar and mailbox delegations, and out of office messages will not migrate. Visit the Configuring Common Features page for instructions to setup these features in Office 365.
What is my Office 365 user name?
Your Office 365 user name is your Active Directory user ID (ur\username). It is what you use to log in to public workstations on campus.
To identify your user name:
1. Go to the myIdentity portal.
2. Log in using your netID and password (same as when logging into HRMS)
3. Click on View Account. An account list will be displayed.
4. Your user name (User ID) will be displayed by "UR Active Directory" in the account list.
When I am logged onto my computer on the UR domain, intermittently I get a popup of “Autodiscover” that includes fields for typing in a username and password. What is this?
When a user who has an Office 365 account, is sharing their calendar with a Microsoft Exchange user, the Exchange user will get the "AutoDiscover" popup. Their domain credentials can then be input and the checkbox for "Remember my password" can be checked.
Why are Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011, and Outlook 2013 recommended?
Using Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011, or Outlook 2013 will allow a user to leverage all of the features of Office 365. Users on other clients may not be able access a feature if that client does not have specific support built in. Further, Microsoft support of these clients will lead to much faster resolution of any issues that may be introduced by upgrades to the Office 365 service.
I'm having performance issues when connected to shared mailboxes on the Exchange servers.
Removing the shared email boxes then re-adding them and also removing the OST file has helped performance significantly.
There is a corrupt calendar entry that does not exist on my calendar or the shared mailbox calendar. What do I do?
Try dismissing the event. If it comes back up again, delete the corrupt event so the popup window will not come back.
When trying to use the one shared mailbox I had originally, I was unable to send from it and received a bounce email message saying I was not authorized.
Re-create the “from” address for your shared mailbox:
- Select the shared mailbox
- Create a new message
- Expand the "From" field drop-down list and click on the "X" next to the name of the shared mailbox
- Select "Other Email Address..."
- Enter the name of the shared mailbox email address and click "OK"
Will my out of office message be sent to users with external email addresses?
Yes, you will be able to send out of office messages to external email addresses. Go to Tools > Out of Office Assistant and click on Send Out of Office auto-replies. The Inside My Organization tab will send out of office messages to Office 365 mailboxes. The Outside My Organization tab will send out of office messages to any mailbox outside of Office 365.
Will my out of office message be sent more than once if I'm gone for a while?
The out of office message will only be sent once to each sender, even when they email you multiple times during your absence. To reset, turn the out of office message off and then back on again.
Why can't I see public folders?
Public folders are not supported in Office 365. Please refer to the public folder options document for options to replace your public folders.
How do I retrieve an email that I deleted from my Deleted Items folder?
In Outlook, click Tools > Recover Deleted Items.
There is a 14 day retention when email is deleted from trash; 30 day retention for deleted mailboxes.
How do I enable an archive mailbox?
You can create an archive mailbox to store historical messaging data by moving or copying messages from your primary mailbox to your archive mailbox.
How do I change the time zone to my current time zone?
You can change the time zone in the Outlook Web App.
How do I import .pst file data into Outlook?
Refer to the "How to import .pst file data into Outlook" section in the How to manage.pst files in Microsoft Outlook documentation.
What is the data retention policy in Office 365?
There is a 14-day retention period when email is deleted from Trash and a 30-day retention period for deleted mailboxes.
Why does my Outlook Web Access (OWA) session time out?
OWA will timeout after 4 hours of no activity. You may experience different behavior depending on the browser.
How do I apply a digital signature?
You can apply a digital signature in Office 365, but will need to use an Outlook client to do so. Please refer to secure email messages by using a digital signature for instructions. If an email with a digital signature is viewed in OWA, attachments are not accessible.
How do I check my quarantined spam email?
Refer to University IT Spam Management