- What is ResNet?
- ResNet is the wired residential Internet network on River Campus and at the Eastman Living Center at the University of Rochester. In addition to providing Internet access in residence halls, ResNet also services computers for current undergraduate students in Arts, Sciences and Engineering.
- Where are you located, and what are your hours?
- ResNet is located in the IT Center on the Library Road side of Rush Rhees Library. We are open Monday-Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Smaller issues can be resolved by the student staff at the IT Center Student Help Desk. You can reach us by phone at (585) 275-2000.
- What type of connection does ResNet use? Is there wireless?
- ResNet uses a 1 Gigabit connection for all wired ports. In addition to our wired network, most parts of campus are covered by University IT wireless networks. You are NOT allowed to use personal wireless routers on ResNet; however, wired routers are allowed.
- Can I use a wireless printer?
- Wireless printing is currently not supported on the wireless network. However, you can register your wireless printer on ResNet and then connect to your printer from a device on the wireless network.
- I'm new to the University -- how do I connect?
See the ResNet registration page for information on registering your computer.
- How many systems can I register?
- You can register a maximum of two (2) devices per user name. This includes computers, game consoles, and routers. If you are using a router, you must register that router with ResNet, then you can connect multiple computers through that router. Any computers that are connected through that router are the responsibility of the customer who registered the router.
- How can I find the hardware address of my game console?
Your hardware address will be a set of 6 pairs of 2 characters from 0-9 or A-F.
- Navigate to the System area in the XBox Dashboard.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Edit Settings.
- Select Additional Settings.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Start your PS3 without a disc.
- Find the "System Settings" icon and select it with the X Button.
- Find the "System Information" button and select it with the X Button.
- Your MAC address will be listed on that page.
- From the Wii Channel menu, select "Wii Settings" (the round button on the bottom-left of the screen with "Wii" on it).
- Select "Internet," then "Console Settings."
- The MAC address of the Wii console is displayed on the first line.
- My computer is broken -- what do I do?
In addition to providing the Internet services on the wired network, ResNet offers limited computer support for undergraduate students in Arts, Science and Engineering. We do not support hardware problems; however, we do support most software issues for Windows and Macintosh computers. We do NOT support Linux systems. We do NOT do data backups for customers, but we will help you if you need support backing up data to your own media.
If you have a problem with your computer, you can stop by the IT Center Student Help Desk in Rush Rhees library. If we determine your computer has a hardware problem, your computer will be returned to you with the recommendation that you contact the manufacturer for further support. If it is a software issue, we will give our best effort to resolve the issue. We do not provide operating, application or other system media. You must supply your own system media.
- What security software do you recommend?
- For virus protection, the University has a site license for Sophos Antivirus. The license is available for free to any member of the University of Rochester community. You can download the software here.
- I forgot my NetID or password -- what do I do?
- Visit the NetID web page for further assistance, or contact the Student Help Desk at (585) 275-2000 for further assistance.
- I received an email saying they found pirated music/software on my computer -- what do I do?
- If you received an email notifying you of a piracy violation, delete the offending files and software. If you believe you received this email in error, contact the Dean of Students Office and bring your computer to the IT Center Student Help Desk to receive further consultation.
- Why can't external users reach my network device?
- By default, network devices are not accessible to external Internet users. In order to make your device accessible on ResNet, you must fill out this form. The ensuing review process and firewall changes can take up to five business days to complete.
- What is the ResNet Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)?
When a device is registered with ResNet, the registering user agrees to the following statement:
"I have read and understand the ResNet Acceptable Use Policy and the Standards of Student Conduct for the University of Rochester. I understand that it is my responsibility to adhere to the policies outlined in those documents and that my behavior should be guided by the Communal Principles of the University of Rochester."