The IT Center Student Help Desk offers a computer repair service for all undergraduate students of Arts, Sciences and Engineering. Eligible students can check their machine in with student technicians, who will run a standard repair procedure to fix software-related issues, as well as complications that arise from viruses and spyware.
Machines checked into the IT Center are typically fixed within 3-5 business days. If a machine needs to be kept beyond that standard time frame, an IT Center consultant will contact you.
1. First confirm that your computer is experiencing symptoms by going through some basic trouble-shooting steps.
A. Do you think you have a virus? Make sure you have Sophos or another client installed. Run any scans you are capable of running and make sure that you update your virus definitions if possible.
B. Operating System not loading? Do any Microsoft Windows automated repair services help?
C. Cannot connect to wireless? Make sure that your dorm has coverage provided by ResNet.
D. Cannot connect to ResNet? Make sure that your cable is not damaged and that there is a flashing light on your Ethernet port. Try your computer's built-in repair solutions. Still no luck? Give us a call during our hours of operation.
2. If you are unable to resolve the issue yourself and you are having a networking problem, please call us in advance so we can schedule a house call if needed. If we do schedule a house call, please be in your room during the scheduled appointment.
3. To take advantage of this service, please bring your laptop or your desktop (without carrying case, monitor and peripherals) to the IT Center, located on the ground floor of Rush Rhees Library, during our hours of operation. Make sure your computer is sanitized enough to be worked on prior to bringing in your laptop. If you have any install media, please bring it with you. Although we are not liable for data loss, ResNet will not reinstall or reformat your computer without your written permission.
4. Once you have arrived at the IT Center Student Help Desk, a staff member will assist you with checking in your computer. A virtual ticket will be created in our call logging system, including a description of the issue as well as contact information. A paper version will then be printed out with a small disclaimer that you need to read and sign.
5. After the computer's issues are resolved to the best of our abilities, you may pick it up at any time we are open. We will call or email you once we have finished repairing your machine. In the event of hardware failure, we do our best to diagnose it, but we do not support hardware problems. If we need to remove some licensed software from your machine, we will contact you before acting.
6. If you notice any new or unresolved issues with your computer, please contact us.