URgmail on mobile devices
URgmail is easy to access on your mobile device! Whether you have an
iPhone, a BlackBerry or another similar handheld, URgmail is accessible
while you're on the run.
For general help/tips on specific mobile devices, please reference Google′s documentation. There are several options for retrieving URgmail messages on your mobile phone depending on the type of device you own:
- Full browser. If you own a mobile device with full browser capabilities, such as the iPhone, you can simply go to the URgmail login page and log in there - you will get the same functionality as you do on a desktop or laptop.
- Gmail for mobile application: Google offers a free, downloadable mobile application that allows users
to check URgmail easily without full browser access. This application
can be found at http://m.google.com/mail; this can also be set up from a computer. Carrier charges may apply.
You can also set up email applications on your mobile phones to retrieve URgmail messages via POP or IMAP.
- IMAP for iPhone. If you are looking to set up URgmail on your iPhone, please see this tutorial.
Please be aware of the following when attempting to set up URgmail with a mobile email application:
- Enable POP/IMAP: You will need to log into URgmail and enable POP or IMAP
in order to properly complete setup. (NOTE: When setting up BlackBerry
devices, it works best to have one or the other enabled. We have
experienced issues when both are enabled.)
- Sync password: Please make sure that you sync your password so that your NetID authentication works with URgmail′s servers.
- Username: Since URgmail is Google Apps as opposed to traditional Gmail, you will need to
enter your entire email address - in the format of
'YourNetID@u.rochester.edu' - into any username fields you're required
to fill out. Entering your 'email@example.com' alias
will NOT work in these fields.
- Server Settings: Use the default Gmail servers - either ′pop.gmail.com′ or ′imap.gmail.com′ for incoming messages and ′smtp.gmail.com′ for
outgoing messages - to fill in server settings fields.
If you run into any issues setting up URgmail on your mobile device or
have any specific questions not answered on this web page, please
contact the IT Center Student Help Desk at (585) 275-2000, Option 1, or via email.