UR Wireless Updates
As part of a continuing response to the University’s strategic direction to improve and secure wireless services, recent improvements to the University's wireless network services include:
- Expansion of wireless services in Anderson, O'Brien, and Wilder residence halls. Now, all residence halls maintained by Residential Life feature wireless service
- Wireless service included in construction of new buildings: Raymond F LeChase Hall, Ronald Rettner Hall for Media Arts and Innovation, and 514 Park Lot
University IT engineers have enabled the broadcast of the UR_Connected wireless service effective January 5, in support of a pilot program for selected faculty, staff, and students. This is part of a continuing response to the University’s strategic direction to improve and secure wireless services, and is a first step to simplify connectivity to the wireless network.
During this past summer, numerous improvements were made to wireless networks at the University of Rochester. This is part of a continuing response to the University’s strategic direction to improve and secure wireless services. This summer’s improvements include:
- Expansion of wireless services to additional residential and academic locations (see this map for coverage details)
- Removal of unsecured wireless connectivity
- Addition of wireless services for parents, guests and visitors on an isolated network
The wireless network known as UR_RC_Internal was removed from service. Additionally, wireless networking was restricted to only active members of the University community. Students who have left the university and faculty or staff that have left or have been terminated are no longer able to access the wireless network.