Beginning immediately, some evening and late-night transportation and parking options on River Campus have been expanded, helping to ensure greater convenience and safety for University community members, especially students who live off campus.
These following services are expanded:
- The Gold Line 19th Ward nightly shuttle, popular with students who travel between River Campus and off-campus residences, has added stops on Barton St., which is between S. Plymouth Avenue and Genesee St. The shuttle will continue to make its regular stops in the 19th Ward and at Riverview and Brooks Crossing Apartments. The Gold Line runs from 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m., Monday-Friday, and 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. All University shuttles can be tracked in real time via the TransLoc app at http://rochester.transloc.com.
- Any employee or student with any valid University parking permit can now park in the Trustee Lot after 5 p.m. on weekdays. The Department of Transportation and Parking Management recently completed the installation of access control equipment in the Trustee Lot, and after monitoring the trends and understanding the needs of evening permit holders determined that the Trustee lot gate arm can be raised every workday at 5 p.m.
Employees and students with a valid University parking permit can use any ungated lot after 4 p.m. on weekdays; individuals without a University parking permit can use any ungated lot after 7 p.m. on weekdays. Both of these options exclude parking in reserved parking spots.
On weekends, most University lots are open, unless they are being utilized for an event.
Public Safety, along with Student Activities and University Facilities, offers the Safe Ride program for safe and reliable late-night student-driven van transportation. This free service is provided between River Campus locations and on-campus residence halls, including Riverview and Brooks Crossing. Drivers are equipped with radio communication to the Public Safety Department’s dispatch for additional safety. Safe Ride runs from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. every day during the academic year (no breaks or University holidays) and can be accessed by calling 585-276-7433 (RIDE).
The Silver Line shuttle runs every 15 minutes from Park Lot to Wilmot, Intercampus Dr. at Library Rd., Towers, and Rush Rhees Library, weekdays from 7 a.m. to midnight.
Off-Campus Safety Tips:
Here are some important personal safety practices to remember, especially for students and employees commuting to campus for evening classes, activities, or work:
- Don’t be digitally distracted with smartphones or headphones
- Avoid walking or running alone, particularly after dark.
- Lock your doors and windows when you are asleep or when you go out, and leave an outside light on from dusk until dawn.
- Get to know your neighbors and have them watch your house if you go out of town.
- If you are going away, let a friend or family member know how long you will be gone.
- Check the batteries in your smoke detectors at the start of each semester. If you don’t have a smoke detector in each bedroom, ask your landlord to put them in—New York State law requires this.
- If you encounter any situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, trust your instincts and call Public Safety at 275-3333. Public Safety will investigate or contact partners in the Rochester Police Department.
- IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF A CRIME – AS SOON AS IT IS SAFE TO DO SO, call Public Safety from the nearest Blue Light Emergency Phone or dial 585-275-3333 if on campus. If off campus, call the police by dialing 9-1-1 (Every minute counts!)
Category: University News